Sertraline - too scared to take it!! Help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

i'm 26 years old and experience anxiety, panic and dissociation since i was around 12. I've managed it my whole life, but had periods where i've really struggled. i'm now off work sick after a stressful few months, which has resulted in regular panic attacks. i tried citalopram when i was around 18 and had the most horrific experience, i woke up during the night feeling only what i could describe as my brain being on fire and had multiple panic attacks. i've now been prescribed sertraline 25mg but i've had it 2 weeks and still havent taken it and getting disheartened and frustrated with myself. i'm also due to return to work next week so need to make w decision and fast. i'm desperate for things to change but cant bear the idea of another horrific experience. my therapist also thinks this is the right option, and is being quite firm about it as i'm avoiding it at the moment. Grateful for any response!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would try it. You are clearly working hard to over come your problems, and this just gives you another tool to work with The thing is this medication takes ages to work or ages to reach the required level for you as an individual. I personally started in aug21. And I would heavily advise people to increase the size of dosage and interval between dosages very slowly ie no more than 25mg in a 2 week period. Anyhow took me about 7 months to get to the suitable dosage. 150mg per day. single dose. btw it has never been a problem regarding time of day taken. Once a day, that is my must do, but although I try and be about the same, with nightshifts and partying, it could be when I get up or when I go to bed. It worked for me....along with therapy and alot of meditation based stuff. Not complicated stuff just youtube, spotify and therapy guided practices.

Good luck, be happy, you will again soon

any question I will try and answer.

• Posted

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith and make a decision otherwise you are going to continually feel as you do. I am on week 7 and have been on and off sertraline 4 -5 times over many years. Each time i restart it is rough, as by the nature of the situation you are feeling anxiety , panic and rumination.

Try to remain positive , take the first step , there will be wobbles and the first 6 weeks are like a rollercoaster of emotions and thoughts. However it will get better and soon all the racing thoughts and negativity will lessen and become background noise. It's hard to imagine at the start what it is like to feel 'normal' again , but the medication does work , and after a few weeks it is like someone is gently applying the handbrake to your racing mind gradually slowing you down so you can function again.

Stick with it , some people have little side effects , other more so , but if you tell yourself they transitory and will ease in a few days it keeps things in perspective.

Hope that helps a little.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.