Severe Night Sweats

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I'm searching for some help on a problem I have which is now becoming distressing.  I am a 48yr man, 32" waist, 11 stone and 5 6tall and in relatively good health as far as I'm aware.  Every night I wake after 2/3 hours sleep absolutely drenched in sweat with my bedsheets, duvet stuck to me, they are that wet (as am I), afterwards I cannot sleep so have been operating on 2/3 hours a night sleep for several years now.  This problem never used to happen but is now every single night and getting worse.  I sweat at no other times only when I'm asleep.  My bedroom and bedding is not hot nor is it cold, it is the same temperature as it's always been yet this now intolerable and depressing.  I operate on auto pilot.  Why has this started happening and what is causing it.

I have been diagnosed a few years ago with GAD (general anxiety disorder) and five years ago I had a aortic root and valve replacement (my aortic root was dilated by 8.8cm and my valve had stopped working giving me severe aortic regurgitation).  I now have a mechanical valve (st jude conduit) and a false aortic root.  I have had so many tests regarding this problem, as far as i'm aware these tests showed nothing but something must surely be wrong.  I have been tested for overactive thyroid, bacterial endocarditis and so many other things, I really am desperate now and hope somebody can help.  Sometimes my weight drops to about 10.5 stone but slowly builds up again.  I'm confused, depressed and very anxious over this.  Thank you in advance.

I am on no medication apart from Warfarin and Amlopidine (I won't take anything for my anxiety or depression, not tablet wise anyway).

Lee

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi lee

What mattress do you have? Just interested as my dad since getting a memory foam has suffered from severe night sweats and had to change back to a normal sprung mattress.

Maz

• Posted

Yes, you could be right Maz - same thing happened to a friend of mine. I'd been thinking of getting a memory foam matress myself, but having heard her story I changed my mind! I sleep on a good-quality, super-firm foam mattress that I don't sink into. Mine is the kind that has dozens of small holes punched right through it (available at that Swedish store that should probably remain nameless!) and I also have a slatted wooden base to my bed, rather than the solid divan-type base that's more popular in the UK. This combo is ideal for me as it allows the air to circulate.
    • Posted

Hi Maz

Thank you for taking the time to message me.  I sleep on a normal sprung mattress, I did think about a memory foam but, like you read that exact warning as you stated.  You have definitely backed that issue, thank you.

Lee

• Posted

Hi Lee, My money is on the Amlodipine. Because it causes vasodilation, it will tend to increase perspiration in general. Was the onset related to starting on this medication? As to why this is more of a problem at night, I suspect your anxiety is playing a part too.

This is actually quite a common problem. I too have always suffered episodes of night sweats, as well as weirder events where my skin stays completely dry but becomes incredibly hot. A partner once woke me up in alarm - he said he felt he could have fried an egg on my skin!

I suffered to the same extent as you (everything soaked, night after night) at the onset of hot flushes following the menopause. Not suggesting that's your problem, of course, but it could be handled the same way! I tried keeping the bedroom as cold as possible but that made it even worse, as I snuggled under the covers to get warm, then overheated, sweating profusely and throwing everything off in my sleep. Half an hour later I'd half-wake, by now frozen because I was soaking wet and the room was cold, pull the covers back up and the whole thing would start over. Like you, I only slept a couple of hours a night.

What eventually worked for me was keeping the bedroom much warmer than usual - around 23°C - and sleeping with no covers at all, or just under a sheet. I know it's hard on the heating bills, not to mention the environment, but it stopped the vicious circle described above and allowed me to sleep properly again.

Obviously, my case was different, and my internal thermostat eventually returned to something like normal working once my body adjusted to its new hormonal state. But I still can't sleep under a duvet, as the same cycle tends to occur. I'm much more comfortable sleeping in a cool, but not cold, bedroom under a sheet with a light blanket that I can easily push off and pull back up again without fully waking up as my temperature varies during the night. I also find it helps if I sleep without pyjamas covering my legs, though I'm more comfortable with my arms covered, so I can put them on top of the sheet without getting chilled and triggering the whole cycle again. I think you should be able to manage this problem with a few careful adjustments of your sleeping environment.

I suspect the relatively small variation in weight is down to your anxiety. And good for you for not accepting any conventional medications for it! They do help some people but there's no such thing as a free lunch. The side-effects while taking them can be unpleasant, but these pale into insignificance in comparison with the withdrawal effects if you decide you want to stop.

• Posted

Hello Lily

As with Maz, thank you for your valued input, I appreciate it.

The base of my bed is slatted like yours however, your mattress (from a Swedish store that sells meatballs in it's cafe and uses infuriating assembly instructions yet still shall remain nameless) sounds interesting as does your comment on Amlopidine.

These issues did start roughly after or around my surgery, it was prescribed as they believe my aneurysm (hence my massively dilated aortic root) was largely due to blood pressure issues.  Other than that, they have no idea what caused it,  My heart has nothing wrong with it, no heart disease, no cholesterol issues etc, my aneurysm was spotted as I thought I had a virus, I was very lucky they spotted it in time.  

I will ill definately mention this as it's not been raised by the hospital or my GP, thank you.  I have tried different room temperatures but perhaps keeping it at a level temperature through the night may be another wise suggestion.  My wife also ribs me that it's due to my age and the male menopause however, I'd like to think that's not the issue or maybe I'm living in denial.

it has been mentioned that my anxiety may play a role, this also worsened after my surgery as it was such a shock and I was operated on within five days of it being spotted (God bless the NHS).  I have tried CBT but the amount of work needed outside of the consultation at home and 'worry free' zones added to the pressure as with two boys under the age of ten and work to contend with proved impossible.

i have also tried acupuncture, hypnotherapy, Pilates, meditation and lots more.  Now I just try to manage my bad spells the best I can and just 'get on with it' as I was bought up to do.  I have never missed a day off work with it even though at times, I just want to hide away however, being on my own is worse, I end up emotionally torturing myself so it's best to be busy and around people.  I can be my own worst enemy otherwise, this horrible constant sweating at night and constant lack of sleep doesn't help matters, neither does listening to my metal aortic valve clicking away all night, I've resorted to ear plugs for that one.

Thank you both so much for your helpful and interesting suggestions.

Lee

• Posted

Well Lee, you might be in denial about your age (aren't we all?) but not about the male menopause! Not only does it probably not exist, it's certainly not the cause of your night sweats as only females are in the unfortunate position of having their temperature control mechanism driven by their sex hormones. Another celestial design fault. Like the prostate gland...

Wow! You really were lucky they happened to find that aneurysm. Maybe you should view the clicking of the valve as reassurance.

I hope you can soon find a solution to the night sweats. I'm sure you can get round it with a bit of thought and careful management.

• Posted

And with valued, positive and helpful suggestions such as yours,thank you Lily, you've certainly provided some points I need to address.
    • Posted

Morning Lily

i felt I had to message you again following your post.

I set about looking into Amlopidine, I was astonished to read the amount of negative comments and similar experiences.  I have therefore made a GP appointment for next week.

in the interim I have stopped taking Amlopidine entirely, I take my Bp every morning and evening to keep an eye on it.  It hasn't risen much but is still in the safe zone however, I woke this morning after six days off Amlopidine and had slept all night and with dry bedsheets for the first time I can remember, I hope this continues but it's a positive start.

To early to report any emotional changes but I had read lots about how it had attributed to others anxiety and depression and I'm hoping these changes will also follow.

Early days I know but a good start. I wanted to thank you for your suggestion.  It seems Amlopidine can have a negative input on many lives.

Lee

• Posted

Sounds like some nights I have one of my recurring dreams is the falling scenario or danger scenario and I wake up shout g from my sleep in anger or defence. I truly believe the spirit world affects our illness. And as for the weight thing that's a symptom of my diagnosis for narcolepsy & cateplexy you should look at your diet and maybe get re-rested
    • Posted

Thanks Mr Shapes.  I have been re-tested last week, many tests including chest x-rays so i'm awaiting the results at present.  It won't be my diet, that's perfect, I'm the exact weight I should be for my size and (maybe a little under when my weight drops).

I don't work in catering but I am a qualified chef so everything we eat at home is freshly made and balanced.  Thanks for your help, hopefully these tests will come back giving me more of an idea.  After reading Lily's post's I'm definately going to address the Amlopidne issue.  There is another thread of discussion on this very site listing many people complaining about Night Sweats and Amlopidine, this is definately worthy of extra investigation.

Thanks again for your post.

• Posted

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you've found the cause of your problem. Speaking as a former nurse, however, I'm a bit concerned that you've stopped the amlodipine completely. After surgery like yours it's essential that your BP is kept under control. I'd advise re-starting while waiting to see your GP, but at a lower dose. You should be able to cut tablets up if you use a sharp kitchen knife.

The rest of this post is being sent via private message.

• Posted

these ripping sweats sound so similiar to peri menapause and menapause and i realize you are a man but my point is to go to another endoctinologist and recheck your hormone levels.  Another theory is if this from a medication or herb you take or use. Are you taking beta blockers! Oh boy they can that cause issues. You need to have a pharmacologist go through your medicines and your issues with you. Many docs rush and dont really take the time to really examine side effects or dissmiss them which is very poor patient care, but so readily exists. Anyway, my guess is it would be between the two hormonal or medication. 
    • Posted

Hello Lisa

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Funnily enough, I today saw my GP (who as always cannot get you out of the door quick enough).  However, I did manage to get him to refer me to the hospital for hormone tests so you're so right with your hormone and doctors rushing things comments.  It's like talking a blank canvas, as little discussion or empathy as possible.

I'm thankfully not on beta blockers, the only drugs I am taking are Amlopidine and Warfarin.  I have now stopped taking Amlopidine to see if that may be a connection to the night sweats although my GP dismissed this suggestion immediately with no discussion.  I haven't taken Amlopidine for 6 days now but did sweat again last night, I don't know how long it takes to leave your system but my GP said 2 days so I'm still currently at a loss to why this happens.

I do take my BP twice a day and that hasn't suffered or risen since I stopped taking Amlopidine.  I have to take Warfarin for the rest of my life, my life is in fact dependent on Warfarin, without it I'd die over time as blood clots would form (my aortic valve is mechanical), at the very least I'd  be extremely high risk for a stroke or something very nasty.  I don't use any herbs etc.

I suppose all I can do is await my hormone appointment and see how things go at nights till then.  Sleep and bed are far from something I look forward to anymore, it's a nightly ordeal now.

Hoping all is well with you, thanks again for your advice.

Lee

• Posted

Hi Lee

Happy holidays.

I have just read your post about night sweats and I am interested if you discovered the cause as I am in a very similar situation.

Wishing you all the very best

Spence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.