Severe Reaction to Alendronic Acid - muscle aches/weakness

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

My mum has been taking alendronic acid once a week for just short of 4 months. 

We we have only just linked her that her deteriorating situation could be down to this medication.

She has severe muscle/joint/bone pain, aches and weakness in her arms, shoulders and legs which has progressed so much that she struggles to move. Painkillers are not making any difference. 

She initially had moderate shoulder pain that the GPs were and are still investigating but it has become so worse since she was diagnosed with osteoporosis and put on AA. 

She has stopped taking the AA (it’s been a week) so assuming these issues are related is there a time after which she should start to see an improvement? 

I’ve read lots of posts from people on here with similar experiences but not many follow ups to say whether they’ve been resolved. I would like to be able to give her some hope that if connected (which I’m convinced it is after reading the forums) that she will soon see an improvement. 

Many thanks 

Louise 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise 

I had extreme nausea the first week, indigestion second week & as my hand was broken the pain in that area alone became beyond excruciating for the whole month I was in plaster (with a metal pin correcting the break - massive impact injury) - I started my AA three days post op and the pain started within around 12-24 hours and remained until the metal was removed - it wasn’t infected & the metal was in place - the only explanation was AA. No pain killers touched it, it was truly hellish.

I’m now 2.5 months in, my hand is good - physio regularly for 2 years - and - touch wood - my side effects have subsided., entirely.

The diet to complement the drug is key - low sugar, no alcohol, vitamin K & D heavy veg, omegas in fresh & oily fish, low fat in-take. If your mum can bear it, she should persevere for a couple of months while her body gets used to the drug invasion - it’s worth a try., it worked for me but for a month or so was crap. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,

I took AA for about 1 year before I stopped taking it just last month. I was always feeling muscle aches all over my body and I especially had neck and shoulder pain. I couldn’t lift my right arm without pain. After 1 week after I stopped taking AA , I had no more muscle aches! I’m only 52 yrs. old and when I was taking AA, It was hard for me to get out of the car without feeling sore. My doctor told me to stop taking AA for 3-4 months and see how I feel. I noticed a big difference just after 1 month. I don’t know if I have to take another medication to replace the AA for my osteoporosis yet. I’ve tried to take extra calcium and vitamin D and I should do more weight bearing exercises to help with my osteoporosis.

I hope your mom will feel better.

• Posted

Just to add to becca's great post, the Vitamin K should be K2.  You'll get K1 from food, especially leafy greens, but most of us are deficient in K2 and that's what we need to get calcium to go into the bones where we want it.  

• Posted

Alendronic Acid ys associated with quite a variety of side-effects, one of which is that it doesn't really cure osteoporosis. It is my opinion that you would be better off staying off AA and taking Adcal (Calcium), vitamin D3, Zinc and magnesium, all topped off with a high dose Vitamin K2-7. There is also a good book by dr kate rheume bleue which explains the whichness of the why. My husband cured OP in 7 months using the above supplements.

• Posted

I improved my t-score from -2 to -1.6 in one year simply with the kind of nutrition, supplements and exercise protocol Pauline says her husband followed.
  • Posted

hi. i had the same problem with AA I only managed 3 weeks on the meds. The nurse has agree to give me a year to increase my calcium intake and with supplement I hope

I’ve  managed to stop the deteriation, my next dexa scan is in march. I’l let u know in april when I get the results if I’ve done ok or whether I have to take the meds. I’l never take the irak AA again but there are other alternatives.  Let me know how your mum gets on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.