Severe upper stomach pain after eating. Ogd six days ago

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello. Having had a couple of pulls of gastric pain before Christmas, a nice gastroenterologist referred me for an upper GI OGD. This i had last Wednesday and showed duodenal erosion and biopsies were taken.

The lovely doctor who did this procedure also put me on triple therapy in case of H. Pylori for seven days.

All was well. Eating, enjoying life until six days post OGD.

Suddenly, an hour after eating (no matter how small a meal or how slowly i eat) i have severe upper stomach pain to the point where I'm crying, unable to sit or hunch over. Walking around and Rennies help me to burp and this relieves the pain. Trouble is, this can last for hours, with the pain building, my burping, the pain easing then building... you get the idea.

I'm now afraid to eat as this occurred even when I'd only had a zero fat yoghurt for dinner. Can anybody throw any light on this for me please? I'm from the UK

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

please try getting back to your Doctor for further check up.. may be you could have other underlying condition from your massage seems your doctor put you under h pylori treatment just Incase you have it, you need h pylori test just to be sure you have the infection.

• Posted

thank you for your kind reply. I forgot to mention in my original post that i had had a h. pylori antigen test prior to my OGD, which turned out to be negative. The gastroenterologist explained that this can happen, even in the instance of a H.Pylori infection, and took some biopsies on the day. The triple eradication therapy, I feel, was a belt-and-braces approach on his behalf.

Have since discovered that high doses of omeprazole can cause severe wind, stomach pain and even rib/back pain.

I have been back to my GP since my last post and the Omeprazole has been exchanged for esomeprazole and buscopan.

Am still getting awful stomach wind, but am more hopeful as if today. I don't want to stop the PPI medication as, obviously, there are some erosions in my duodenum. Hopefully, these will heal in a few weeks/months and i can then ease off the Esomeprazole.

Then i can start eating a more varied diet again, hopefully. When this all started last week, i cut back everything (a real pain as I'd just started to get my appetite back) and have so far introduced bananas, lean cooked chicken, wholegrain rice, corn chips (honestly), warm squosh and ginger and lemon tea.

Ive also started taking bio-kult, a recognised probiotic.

• Posted

****This is good to know you are feeling better, i wish you the best on your path to full recovery, this bug can be scary, im still recovering after testing positive, i completed two weeks triple therapy, right now **im now doing Omeprazole to try and reduce the acids and balance the stomach PH, im in Africa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.