shingles behind right eye, forehead , scalp and now PHN for 2 1/2 yrs , when will it go

Posted , 3 users are following.

I woke up one morning with what I thought was a migraine, the pain increased throughout the day and I then knew it wasn't a migraine, we went to our local doctors and was given Morphine and the Doctor called an Ambulance to take me to the hospital where they thought it could have been an an aneurysm or tumor , the hospital at this stage did not mention shingles and after 3 days in hospital the first blister appeared , then pain was agonising and the right side of my face blew up like a balloon. I was given antiviral intravenously although I had passed the 48hr window. I was sent home with Gabapentin which gave me no relief then put on the highest dosage of Lyrica which I am weaning off now, its now been 2 1/2yrs and I still have PHN , I feel like the skin on my forehead and scalp has been pulled off and the burning and sensitivity is sometimes unbearable , CBD oil does help take the edge off the pain but doesn't last long and my scalp still gets scabs and feels very rough under the hair - if someone else has any suggestion then please let me know as living with PHN 365 days a year is wearing me down.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

PHN is so miserable. i have had shingles for 13 years and very little has helped to manage the pain. It keeps me awake and sleep is so difficult. i have tried so many things over the years .

Have you tried the new shingles vaccine. I had Shingex vaccine and it has helped slow down the frequency and intensity of PHN.

• Edited

I am having trouble sleeping as well so know exactly where you are coming from, I have had the original vaccine but might have to get the Shingrex vaccine to see if it helps.

I'm going to the optometrist today for an eye check as the eye that had the shingles is sore and blurred, been told that its dry eye causing it but looks like this is going to be ongoing.

I am so sorry that you have had to suffer this for 13 years, not sure how I would cope if my phn doesn't reduce.

• Posted

it's a good idea to try everything possible to help contain, some spreading of this disease. shingex has lessons repeat duration, some phn, i still have spreading . started on small section on left side under shoulder blade, has spread thru out the upper part of my back both sides of my back and up my neck and totally covering my scalp and some blisters popping up on the other side. it's not raw looking just scabby and very itchy especially in summers heat. I found that a sunburn spray helps numb the area enough for a break. also steroid cream helps and bandage.

any treatment helps you?

• Posted

I have had 1 dose of shingrix vaccine and I very strongly urge you to do as much research as you possibly can including all the reviews you can find of those of us who have had adverse reactions. Many have done fine but many of us have had horrific long lasting side effects. I have a 16 year history with shingles, first outbreak lasted 3 months in 2007 diagnosed with ramsey hunt syndrome and phn of cranial nerves. Ive had reoccuring bouts over the years. The shingrix vaccine side effects have been horrific and still ongoing after 12 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.