Shingles on labia.... help!

Posted , 48 users are following.

I was informed that the burning, painful sore on my labia is shingles. I have scoured the internet and have not found this location to be very common. It's been 3 weeks and 1 round of anti virals. The sore has healed but there is a hard lump where the blister was and it still really hurts! I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure I have some nerve damage as my left side gets tingly from the sore both up and down my body. Gabapentin 100 hasn't offered much relief. I'd really like to know if this will go away or if I should be seaking more medical care.

Thanks.

3 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Edited

You are absolutely right, shingles in the S3 dermatome is not very common.  I had shingles there 15 months ago and have only heard of a few others that have had it there. Unfortunately I have PHN and still have pain, Did your Doctor send in a culture or give you antibiotics with the antivirals?
    • Posted

At first she thought it was herpes type 2 (which was a shock since I've not been exposed to it). Then the culture tested positive for herpes zoster. She gave me a topical and an anti viral pill. The day afterthe pills were done, I started getying symptoms exactly the same as 3 weeks ago. I'm going for a second opinion/swab/more meds tomorrow. I'm in intense pain and need all the help I can get.

• Posted

I didn't ask... was yours severe? What are you doing for pain management?

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you are going through this but I'm glad I have someone to compare notes with.  My pain was severe and it was the whole dermatome but the rash was small, about the size of a nickel.  The rash was not near the labia but that is where the most severe pain was.  I think  that the nerve endings are probably the most sensitive.  I did have a lot of pressure type pain in the colon and for a couple of days I had very little bladder control, did you experience that?  At about 7 or 8 weeks I had an unbelievable itch, it was by far the worst part of shingles and the only thing that relieved it at all was ice! I still get pressure near the lower spine that I think must be due to shingles but I haven't seen that mentioned on any of the shingles forums that I have read.

I don't do anything for pain management except try to rest and eat well. I try to follow the high lysine diet and it seems to help.  I tried Gabapentin to help with nerve pain but I found that I could not function at work. I hope your pain is easing and I pray that you don't have any lingering effects...

• Posted

Hi,I have had them there just above..They are painful and I have terrible itching there and on my bum..Tryi to figure out how to stop the itching that is life disturbing...
    • Edited

Hi Bne

My gynecologist think my rash is HSV2 as well. I've been married for 10 years so this is frightening news for me... I feel like all my symtoms lead to shingles but I haven't received my test results yet. I don't think they even tested for shingles, only herpes. My sores on the left side of my vagina and my left butt cheek. They aren't very sore at all but I'm having a lot of nerve pain usually from my lower back down to my knee but sometimes into my calf and heel. All on the left side. When they did an internal exam the left side of my cervix was also in extreme pain when touched. Crossing my fingers that the herpes tests are going to come back negative. 😔

• Posted

Hi InPain6

I'm so sorry you're going through this and I hope you're feeling better.  What you described  sounds a lot more like shingles than hsv2.  You mentioned that you had pain in your heel, does it feel like spur pain?  I had that, it was between my heel and arch and it hurt to walk on for about 4 or 5 weeks.  

• Posted

I was almost done replying and somehow lost it... My rash has cleared up but the pain, burning, numbness, tingling and ITCHING in all areas affected are much more severe. I'm not sure what spur pain is but the pain in my heel started in the back and is now also towards the arch of my foot. Does anyone know if I should be resting more? I'm worried doing too much is causing more severe symptoms and wondering if stimulating the area will cause postherpetic neuralgia? I've not been to the gym since this has started but am on my feet all day at work and bowl in a league once a week. Thanks for getting back to me.... I'm still waiting on my results. 😖

• Posted

InPain6, how did your test results turn out? I've also been married for 10 years -- I had shingles once in my early 20's. The pain and look reminds me very much of them except for where they're located . The odd thing is I also had small open sores pop up on the back of my hairline and head around the same time. I jokingly said to my husband that it reminded me of shingles but brushed it off as dermatitis or clogged hair follicles and planned on making an appt with a dermatologist. I'm just at a loss for words. I'm so worried that it's something more severe than shingles or HSV2.

• Posted

I'm sure not a doctor but if the Gabapentin doesn't work which it didn't work for me yes you should tell your doctor. I have had the post pain from the Shingles for over a year and I haven't found anything that works for me. I think I'm going to try a neurologist but I don't know of they can help. Stay on top of it and good luck

• Posted

OMG the itching will not stop.Help if anything you know will work..Thank you...
    • Posted

The itching is horrendous! The only thing I found that took the itch away was ice, and I took anti histamines at the same time.  Be careful not to do any damage to the delicate skin with the ice. Try to avoid heat until you get past the itchy stage, it usually makes it worst

​I have seen some people post in other shingles forums about coconut oil mixed with essential oils but I have never tried it. Good luck and please let me know if it helps   

• Posted

What I do is fold a wet wash clothe and put it in the freezer. After a while, you can shape it to the contours of any body surface and it usually offers immediate relief for discomfort, at least for me anyway.

You can also freeze a folded paper towel the same way. You can cut it into pieces and use it anywhere, even up your nostril if you have trigeminal neuralgia, and I would think someone could use it in their vagina as well if need be.

I also use coconut oil both internally and externally.I use evening primrose oil, vitamin E, zinc and some other remedies.

• Posted

Just got shingles in this area. It's been 5 days.. Very uncomfortable sitting down. I'm taking Acyclovir 5 times a day and a fungus med one tablet every three days for three days. So far I have not gotten sharp pain or itching. If it does start itching, I ignore it.   I haven't left the house because I don't want to contaminate anyone.   Likely I have three loose dresses I wear and put cotton pillowcases on the couch.   I go to the doctor next Tuesday.  We will see what she says.  She's a gynogologist.  

Hope you are better now      Hope to hear from you.  Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.