Shingles -pain worse than hip op recovery!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Yuk, pain in side and then rash: doctorhas just  said shingles. Gosh. Thinks that I picked it up in swimming pool. Pain gonna be quite acute for next 4-5 days.

clearly exercise is risky in more ways than one!

mic x

4 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Unlucky! Puts post op hip pain into perspective for those yet to have op!

The virus causing shingles is not caught from swimming pools it lies dormant in your body from the time you had chickenpox. Keep up with the pain relief but be aware that the afterpain can linger long after the rash has gone.

Barbara x

• Posted

Hi Barbara

Thanks!

Yes virus in me sure, due to chicken pox as a child, but GP says it was activated by someone in pool with active virus.

He said just to safe to others I should not swim for 10 days too....

Bye

Mic

X

• Posted

The virus is very contageous if someone has a outbreak and you are exposed to the rash.

so sorry.. 

• Posted

OOOOOOO don't envy you that Mic, I had it a few years ago very painful. Hope your feeling better soon (((((hugs)))))
  • Posted

Hi Mic, so sorry to hear that, has your GP prescribed anti-viral drugs? Generic name aciclovir, trade name Zovirax. There is a shingles treatment pack as the dosage is higher (800mg) tablets. There are many others in the family eg. Famciclovir where the dosage is 250mg three times daily. Please phone your GP if you were not offered them, they reduce the duration and healing will be quicker. You also need to take regular analgesia and avoid swings in room/air temp so no going in the sun or putting ice packs on the blisters.

Big hugs,

Dot x

• Posted

Dearest Mic,

Oh noooooo --- I am soooooo incredibly sorry ---

Unfortunately I know all about it - (still get reminders after yearscry)

Some calamine lotion will soothe the skin ....

Good luck ---

big warm hug 

renee

p.s. Congrats on your 6 star statuscheesygrin

• Posted

Oh dear, poor you.

I've not had shingles before but have had my patients tell me it's one of the worst pains they have ever experienced.

I know that Aciclovir (as someone else mentioned) is the treatment for it but I'm not sure at what stage this should be given as I'm sure there is a point in the recovery process where it is too late to be of any value in getting rid of the virus. If you haven't been given any advice regarding this or pain meds then certainly I would get back onto the GP and check what the advice is.

Hope your recovery is quick and as pain free as possible.

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Hey Ali

Yes ty...got it and taking ...tis 5 tabs a day for 5 days! Plus lots of water and paracetamol.

Apreciate your e- hugs!

Mic

X

• Posted

Anti viral meds like you suggest is very helpful and depending on how serious the breakout is pain meds can ease the pain.
    • Posted

As a medic, pulling rank now, it is very crutial that you take them equal time apart. Hope you recover quickly Mic x
  • Posted

I don't think you CAN catch shingles...it is actvated in anyone who has had chicken pox in the past..I used to work at a GP surgery and we had this question many times..people thinking you could catch from some one who has chicken pox or you could get shingles from someone who has shingles.  You are the 4th person I have heard of this week but they are wakling around and have not been told to keep away from others....Whatever it is very painful..Poor you. and on top of hips...

Alice.

• Posted

Hi ,

sorry to hear u have shingles. I came down with It from stress. My doc gave me the shingles vaccine. He said even though I had a breakout the vaccine will keep future outbreaks from becoming to serious & less often. 

Shingles is due to a reactivation of varicella zoster virus (VZV) within a person's body. Chickenpox is due to an initial infection with VZV. if you had chicken pox as a child this is the virus that lives in the body. 

Ask for the vaccine to releive further damage down the road. Studies show that once shingles has been activated in the body the immunization for shingles can help further breakouts less often and less serious.

so sorry you have this as THR pain is bad enough. I have had 3. I can't imagine having them both at the same time.

Peace & Healing

• Posted

Thanks everyone...

On the anti viral medication now spaced thru the day for 5 days. And yes I'll ask about the vaccine later, but right now want this to fade away. Paracetamol help too.

Yes think the virus was reactivated in the pool..having had chicken pox as a hill.

..not myself swimming for 2 weeks in case I pass it on

Mic

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.