Shortness of breath

Posted , 3 users are following.

I guess I don't want to go straight to the doctor because of the 'just stop' advice that I feel is all they can really say, but anyway here's my problem.. 

I'm 22 and have been smoking since I was about 16. Back then only a couple a week and at most over these years I have reached 5/6 a day but never for that long - usually less than that. I've also been smoking weed for the same amount of time, and for the last three years I have had pretty much at least 1 every night, usually 2 or 3. I began to experience a shortness of breath about two years ago now I think. Initially it was really bad because I was a sheep and would smoke whenever friends were without stopping myself, knowing it would feel bad after. My shortness of breath is not all the time, only after I have smoked. Over the last year I have gone through phases of exercising for a week or two before getting out of the habit and stopping. Exercise is the key to getting better but it has also made me think that a lot of the problem is psychological. I would go out for my first half hour run and then feel fine after smoking later. Smoking weed seems to be a problem in particular, sometimes the thought of having a joint gives me shortness of breath. But if I have exercised or eaten well that day then I don't always get it?? 

I like the occasional cigarette but I reckon I can give it up, which I'm going to try do now. I'm really busy right now so am finding it hard to find time to exercise. I can tell my mindset is to exercise and feel better so I can then smoke comfortably.. even if more controlled that's still not a great attitude. Has anyone experienced this sort of immediate reaction to smoking? Particularly weed? When I go running I'm obviously not very fit but I don't feel the shortness of breath, it actually just feels good with all the crap leaving my body. I barely smoke now, I just shared a small, and not very full, joint with my gf and immediately felt so aware of my breathing.. can my body get better to the point where I can still enjoy the occasional joint without feeling rubbish, or is this now permanent? 

Thanks to anyone who responds, I know this is a bit of a ramble, it's hard to go to the doctor and say "I feel s****y due to smoking but I still want to be able to smoke sometimes.. oh yeah and it's weed..."

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There are a couple of things that can ease the breathing:You should learn controlled breathing. If you suffer from respiratory ailments, there are a number of breathing positions and relaxation techniques that can be used to assist you when you find yourself feeling short of breath. 

Reduce mucus. Many current and former smokers experience elevated levels of mucus in the lungs. To combat this, you may need to cough more frequently (unless it is painful to do so). Get plenty of exercise. For some people with respiratory problems, exercise is exhausting and difficult; however, regular exercise — especially cardiovascular exercise — has been shown to improve the respiratory muscles and provide you with stronger lungs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.