should i be worried

Posted , 2 users are following.

ok so i recently as ion last monday had a tooth pulled it was a molar on the lower right side of my jaw that has a massive cavity in it. area seems to be healing fine seeing as how the hole where the tooth was has the white stuff in it. any how i woke up today and was in minor pain meaning it was bearrable but i felt it im wondering why im in pain since i had the tooth pulled that was causing the pain. its like a sharp pinching kinda pain

im worring that the pain might be caused by the last tooth in the lower right jaw im a bit of a hypochondriac also i suffer from anxiety please help me deal with this issue thanks for your time

edit i am rinsing my mouth out with mouth wash as often as i can

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

edit the dentist had to drill the molar to pull it out as it was very broken
  • Posted

The hole?  You mean, by that, the stitches have parted?
    • Posted

I was composing a longer reply to you as you were sending this reply, so I didn't see it until I was finished.  Since you are now ok,  it's fine to disregard my later reply.

• Posted

I just saw your other reply.  What do you mean "had to drill"?  Please don't say he used a pair of pliers.  That would sound like a Dr. McCoy reference from Star Trek.  (Though I can testify (from first hand experience!) that there were dentists doing it that way as late as 30 years ago - it was so horrible, I still remember how very painful it was afterward, (60mg codiene (Tyl #4) made me sleepy but didn't help the pain) and that it took forever to heal).

These days it seems that dentists learn to remove teeth, without causing excessive trauma to the surrounding tissue,  by "quarter"ing it using a cutting bit in the drill.

Of  people I've known over the last two decades who have mentioned having teeth removed,  the anachronistic euphemism "pulled" was literal for only two of them,  and both were a long time ago.

Of course, I'm not a dentist and I don't know what special circumstances might require literal "pulling".  If that's what he actually did, could you ask him why he couldn't just quarter it, and let us know?  I'm always curious about such things.

I did have a molar extracted five years ago,  and it was a mild procedure. The dentist just cut it into pieces, cleaned out the socket, applied an infection suppressant, sewed it up and gave me an Rx for antibiotics and oxycodone.  There was so little adjacent trauma that I didn't need the painkiller.  The wound also healed much more quickly than the extraction I had 25 years earlier. After it had fully healed and I was sure I wouln't need them,  I tossed the painkillers down the toilet (so dumpster-diggers couldn't get at them) .  These days, doing so is good citizenship (in my opinion, anyway).

• Posted

what i meant by drilled is that when the dentist looked at the tooth he said it looked to broken for himt o just pull out so that he would have to drill it so that he could break so hed have more tooth to grab onto but he didnt need stitches but so far it seems to be healing and the pain is gone for the most part ima assume it was post op pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.