Should I continue to take Contraceptive?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I'm 23 years old and i was recently diagnosed with PCOS about two months ago. I was on Nuva Ring for a bout 4 years until I stopped using it in January of this year. Once I stopped I continued to get my menstrual for about 2 or 3 months until it just stopped coming, I made an appointment to see my GYN and they proceeded to give me a pregnancy test which came back negative. I wanted to continue some form of contraceptive since i wasn't pregnant and me and my partner do not use condoms. She put me on the pill and advised me to start taking it when i start my cycle. A month went by and i still did not have my cycle so i did not start the pill. I made an appointment to see my GYN again they did sonograms and discovered that i have PCOS. Since i wasn't TTC my doctor advised me to continue using the pill until i was ready to start TTC, and that i should lose some weight and sent me on my way. a few weeks a go a had a regular doctors appointment and mentioned to them that my GYN diagnosed me with PCOS, she suggested that i look into Ketogenic diets as they help with PCOS. I currently still taking the pill and was wondering if i should continue to take them?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I’m 22 and have a really similar story. They also tried putting me back on contraceptive pills and told me to lose weight. I never understood why I would go back on birth control when I strongly felt that it contributed to my hormonal issues to start. So I didn’t take my prescription and followed up with my doctor months later to tell her I couldn’t get myself to take them. In that time I had read from many sources that contraceptives don’t really solve the problem but they mask the symptoms. I personally want to TOTALLY get my pcos under control. So many woman have naturally cured themselves to the point where its essentially gone. So I asked my doc to explain why it was necessary. She said the benefit of them was to reduce the risk of uterine cancer. Since woman with pcos aren’t shedding their lining every month, it places them at higher risk of developing cancer over time. So taking BC will insure that at least your having a menstural cycle monthly (even if it’s not the natural way).  

I think you need to decide how you want to go about managing your pcos. I would recommend finding medical studies AND natural homeopathic blogs specifically for pcos. For me, I am doing a mixture of both. I am currently on my 5th day of keto and I know that all it can do is help, whether by losing weight or actually stabilizing my blood sugar/hormones (or both!). 

Just keep in mind that up until recently, pcos hasn’t been well understood. For instance, woman have been claiming inositol to help tremendously, but since a medical study had never been done a lot of woman never had the chance to learn about it.  FINALLY, a medical study was conducted a year ago that proved its effectiveness. You can find inositol in a supplement form by the brand name Ovasitol. So far I have only found it on Amazon. 

I hope this helps and good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing with me, Its very comforting to know that there are women with so much knowledge about the dos and don'ts of this. It has been very difficult for me to get started in my own journey because i didn't know where to start. thanks again sharing and i wish you the best on you journey 

• Posted

Hello!!

I've just gone through a similar situation. But I have follicular cysts on my ovaries which means my eggs don't get released, I was prescribed Cerazette but after a month of taking it I knew it wasn't for me. I've done extensive research on natural ways to improve hormonal imbalances and I personally think that's the best way to go. Im looking to start the Keto diet once I've got a low GI diet nailed smile There are so many blogs and forums that offer such amazing advice have a look around and adopt a lifestyle that suits you. its 100% possible to fully reverse PCOS without prescribed medication that just manage the symptoms smile

GOOD LUCK XOX

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing with me, i will surly be taking all this information in and start my own search. I wish you all the best in journey smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.