Should I do shockwave lithotripsy with or without ureteral catheterization

Posted , 1 user is following.

At age 57, I have discovered a 7mm stone stuck in mid ureter, and decided to get the shockwave lithotripsy procedure done this week to shock out the stone. My urologist surgeon has offered me a choice: i can get it done with or without ureteral catheterization. He says he would use a ureteral catheter to try to push the stone back into the kidney to be able to aim the shock waves better during ESWL. Right now the stone is further down closer to pelvic bones and by pushing it up he'd get a better location to hit it.

Is there anyone on this forum who had negative experience with agreeing with their doctor to attempting such stone manipulation using catheter placement before SWL of ureteral stones. I do read there is a 2% risk of ureteral strictures. Did your SWL go well with ureteral catheterization just during the procedure. I am asking the urologist to not leave in a stent AT ALL after the procedure, and he is fine with that. So, the question is how much is the extra damage to the body with the catheter being used to push up the stone with liquid before it being subjected to shock waves?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.