Should I or should I not? Shingles Vaccine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi:

I have been wrestling with this idea of getting myself a shingles vaccine for a while now after I came down with recurring shingles on the palm of my left hand 4 times already (almost the same small spot and a few blisteres) since March,

I have been reading about it and the reviews and comments are VERY MIXED so I can't really decide one way or another. That is why I am posting on this board hoping for a few to come down for or against this idea so that I can make a decision soon (before the next round of shingles attack my left palm again).

I have read from those (manufacturer likely included) claiming that it would boost my immune system against recurrance by as much as 64% (in my age range) and some confirming that either they did not come down with another shingles attack or if they did it was a much milder attack and on the other hand I have read from those saying that it had no effect on them and worse some say that they actually came down with shingles within a few days to a few weeks of vaccination (this is horrible if true).

If you have any personal experience with shingles vaccine please share your valuable experience.

Also please help me to understand (I am not a doctor) as why a shingles vaccine (which is weakend live virus) should give me more immunity against future shingles attack when the live virus I have had 4 times already in my body failed to do so (in at least 3 times of that)???.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin from Canada.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had reoccurring Shingles for 35 years. I have spoken directly to the manufacturer of the vaccination, and they say the vaccine will not prevent repeat Shingles. It is possible it will lessen the symptoms of outbreaks. I personally will not get it, I have even had an outbreak of Shingles, directly after getting a flu vaccination. It just caused stress on my system. It isn't worth it for me. Each to their own. Good luck with everything.

1Roswell

• Posted

Dear Kevin,

First, I am so sorry you are suffering with the reoccurring Herpes Zoster or Shingles disease. I have Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. I tried everything to ameliorate the reoccurrence, including taking a reduced dose of the antivirals daily and Zostavax. Believe me, the Zostavax did not help, nor did it exacerbate the intensity or frequency of the Herpes Zoster. As the Zostavax is an attenuated or reduced dose of the virus you get when you have Herpes Zoster anyway, why should it help? It is supposed to give you immunity, but your body is already probably immunocompromised in some way, either with an autoimmune disease such as Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, ITP, Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriasis, Sjögrens Syndrome, and others, Longterm use of corticosteroids, Cancer, age, etc etc.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

As I have had the disease so frequently, I have found the following help.

I take Topamax 100 mg 2x daily to decrease the amount of pain when the Zoster strikes. As I am a migraineur, it also prevents migraines. The Topamax, as it is anti-seizure medication, also helps prevent post herpetic neuralgia.

I also instilled Auralgon ear drops in my ear when I have Zoster as the Benzocaine also helps to alleviates the pain. You can buy over the counter benzocaine so ray to apply to your area fir the acute days.

Also, start the antivirals immediately upon onset of the pain. This means having a supply on hand. You also need Opioids for the pain, if it is severe.

I hope this helps.

Re: my immunocompromised state, I have a few diseases that qualify re the ones I listed, so I know the Zoster will not disappear.

I hope this helps.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you all (Rosewell. Merry and Jay) for your responses. I am sorry too for your pain and sufferings too.

It is a recent fnding that zoster virus can recurr in immunocompetent people too as like the other family virus (simplex).. But the good news is that they say that there will be a much stronger vaccine coming to market in two years time which provides 100% immunity for life. Lets hope that is true and our sufferings end.

Kevin

• Posted

Kevin,

When I am stressed, the Zoster occurs more frequentl @ 2-1/2 week intervals, and less stressed, @ 5 week intervals. I wish the best to you.

Interestingly, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, excellent prognosis as it is a non agressive tumor type and caught early, no lymph node involvement, so I have known something was wrong for years with that rate of frequency of Zoster.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes @ 5 weeks intervals has been the case with me too since April. First I came down with a severe case of impetigo after a 3 week trip to Greece. I was very sick for 2 weeks with high fever which was likely what destroyed my immune system at the first place (already weakend by the trip) and then cycles of recurring shingles. That said I have been fortunate as my attacks have been very mild (a few not really painful blisters on small area of left palm and no fever or anything else) compare to what I have read on the net about other poor people's sufferings.

I was hoping by getting a vaccine I could break this cycle but after reading the feedbacks and responses in this thread from all you nice people I changed my mind about vaccine. I will try to boost my immune system by taking Lysine, vitamines (B complex, C and D) and minerals (zinc and calcium). Lets see if I will come down with another shingle attack in a week and a half (my last shingles attack was 3 and a half weeks ago and now it is all cleared from my palm).

• Posted

I have lupus and therefore have to take immunosuppressants and steroids which has totally knocked my immune system out. I obviously cant take anything to boost my immune system, This year I have had 4 shingle flares, each time with blisters ranging from 4 to 8. It si nasty and really drags you down. I always get headaches and feel really tired before and during a flare.
  • Posted

Hi kevin

I just had another outbreak last week.

i wondered about the vaccination but also was told it may not prevent outbreaks, so wont bother.

Jay

• Posted

Hi Kevin its a no no for me. I have no imune system due to medication and the vaccine I believe is live

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.