Should I stop taking a daily dose of 75mg aspirin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am from a family with a history of early death from heart disease. In 1993, after reading about the benefits of taking a daily dose of aspirin, I started taking 75mg daily after breakfast. I do not take any other medication and I am 72 and in good health. I exercise regularly, have a low resting heart-rate and excellent blood-pressure. I have noticed over the years that I bruise easily and that minor cuts take a while to stop bleeding and take some time to heal. Other that, I have not suffered any other side-effects that I am aware of. There has been a lot of adverse press recently about the possibilty of stomach bleeding increasing with advancing years and I am now concerned about the risk out-weighing the benefit. However, I have also read that it can also be dangerous to stop taking aspirin when I have been on it for so long. Any thoughts or personal experience to share? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bruising easily and small wounds healing slowly is consistent when taking an anti-coagulant but in your case ,75mg of aspirin is a relatively low dosage of a relatively low effect drug unlike Warfarin which will usually have a greater effect. You should not normally therefore have side effects . My advice is that if you have not been prescribed aspirin then try reducing the frequency of dosage eventually down to nil . Aspirin has been known to cause internal bleeding and in your case the risk may well outweigh any other advantages.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for this and sorry for the delay in replying. I think you are right. It seemed to me that the brusing and delayed healing time has been getting worse over time and it was this, coupled with the adverse publicity,  that first raised doubts in my mind.

I have started reducing the dosage by only taking 75mg every other day. I will do this for a few weeks and then reduce further by only taking half a tablet every other day for a few more weeks and then stop the dose altogether. 

• Posted

I have had several heart doctors that I have also ask this question. They all told me that the aspirin is suppose to be taken in the morning being I take warfarin at night because it some how works with the warfarin and helps prevent strokes. Don't stop taking 75mg  aspirin without the heart doctor instructing you to do so. The aspirin is not causing you to bruise, it's the warfarin.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your comment. In my case, since I am not taking warfarin, the bruising must be as a result of the asprin. After doing some more reading, I have come to the conclusion that, in my case at least, the benefit of taking low dose asprin is outweighed by the increased risk of internal bleeding (which definitely increases with age).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.