Should urine be acid or alkaline in order to resist UTIs?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am new to the site and have a number of urinary health related questions.

My first one concerns whether urine should be maintained in the alkaline or acid range in order to assist in the prevention of UTIs.

I find that bona fide medical information on the Net is contradictory on this subject. What is your lived experience and knowledge and strategies this?

I had a surgical menopause a number of years ago, then bladder uplift surgery. I have long standing chronic constipation, and can also no longer push much, in order to protect the bladder surgery. Due to the latter, for the past 12 years I have been taking Magnesium powder most nights. It is an effective and also healthful treatment, but it alkalises my urine, which is observable in morning urine dipstick tests.

In the past 2 years I have experienced 2-3 UTIs, and significantly high and persistent leucocytes in my urine. I believe this is probably due to low oestrogen and VA, and is something I am also trying to find a work around and will address with another question.

A urologist has advised that I stop the magnesium as he believes the alkalinity of my urine is facilitating these urinary problems. I have tried the widest range of constipation treatment and strategies, and magnesium is the only safe and effective treatment I have found, for daily and long term use. I am also not convinced the urologist is correct regarding the urine alkalinity issue. WDYT regarding the latter?

I have concluded that there is possible online confusion and conflation because perhaps the vagina needs to have an acid environment whilst the urinary system should be alkaline. WDYT?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.