Sick Of Suffering Anal Itch!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have been suffering from anal itch for 1 yr 8 months! I feel like I have tried everything! When it first started I got a colonoscopy and they found 3 internal hemorrhoids I also had an external one at the time. I thought my external one was what was causing it so I got it surgically removed and the problem continued. The whole time I was itchy and having crawling sensations on and off so my doctor went ahead and treated for pinworms twice also did not help. Then I had 3 stool tests to test for parasites they were all negative. I still wasn't convinced and treated myself. Anyhow I have done all that! I've tried hydrocortisone cream, Suppositories, recti care and other meds. But I am sick of this and ready to get rid of this as it is taking over my life! Any suggestions on what helped you?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi so your saying take an anti-histamine tablet everyday until you find out whats causing it. Do these stop the itching and i wonder if they would also help with the problem i have with itching after taking a shower all the time. Ive tried using just water and it still happens, tried having the water cooler, still happens, dreadful and severe, starts on arms then back of shoulders, then legs to the point its more like a stinging itch and can last for approx 45  mins.
  • Posted

I'm talking about the persistent anal itch I was suffering from. Also known as pruritus ani. Persistent, meaning all the time - not just for 45 minutes. And not an all over body itch. They are two different problems as mine was caused from a food intolerance and then the 'itch-scratch' cycle, as I described above, caused the itch to continue well after the cause of the itch was eliminated from my body. What you describe is a 45 minute itch after showering. Yes you could try taking an anti-histamine tablet daily, but I would also consider what is actually causing your itch. I'm no doctor, but with no other visible signs of a rash or psoriasis present, I would say you have very dry skin as that is the only time I've ever had a 'stinging' itch over my body for 45 minutes after showering. Try moisturizing with coconut oil, almond oil, avocado oil, or any other non-refined cold-pressed oil straight after the shower before even drying off. That's what I do for dry skin.

• Posted

yesss!!!! ive been suffering for 9 years guys!! ive seen so many proctologists and tried all the creams, tips and tricks, ect. worse at night, after going to the bathroom (1&2 since it would kinda get wet with 1). keeping it dry definitely helps, but the scratch itch cycle is no joke! ive recently looked into a gluten intolerance because I took a at home intolerance test that showed antibodies reacting to gluten and eggs. I knew that beer made my itch UNBEARABLE, but never pit two and two together. i was doagnosed with IBS-D about a year ago, but tested neg for celiac. I also have chronic headaches. Hoping going gluten free will do the trick! You are also spot on with the anti-histamine. A doctor prescribed one for my itch a few years ago and it really worked for the year, the it just started jot to work so well, but maybe it was the GLUTEN!! Bless you all, I hope all of is get our life back!

• Posted

Hi hayann13! hope you're feeling better! I'm going through something similar and I noticed that the itch is relieved when i cut out gluten and dairy. Did you manage to find something that works?

• Posted

Hi guys, just thought id let people know that after suffering for 8 years i finally figured out what was causing my pruritus ani, it was coffee, tea, coke and bread. After i stopped drinking/eating them it went away with 48 hours, however if i do take them i can almost immediately feel it start up again.

I suffered for years, went to numerous doctors and 2 dermatologists and had no luck, they went down paths that were of no help.

It wasn't until i started playing around with my diet that i noticed certain days were better than others, and through a process of elimination i figured out it was bread, coffee, tea and coke.

I hope this helps someone, as I understand the pain, anxiousness and frustrations it causes, not to mention the lack if sleep!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.