Side affects on Alendronic Acid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my 84 yr old mum started Alendronic Acid 1 a week tablet 6 weeks ago.2 weeks ago she became very ill difficulty eating, losing weight, breathless not sleeping and tired all the time and just sitting in a chair all day .She is a very young 84yr old and you never see her without makeup hair done and nice clothes ,she has become someone I don't know .The doctor was called who said it was a virus.After a week of still being ill we had the doctor out this week and this time said stop taking the Alendronic Acid. I was wondering if anyone else is going through these side affects and how long before she feels herself again. I feel so helpless at the moment I've lost my fun loving active mum .

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

She will come good. My sister got sick too. It takes a while to get out of her system. 

Maybe make sure she is eating well and drinking plenty of water and a bit of tlc. 

Then look at all the natural things she can do. Read all the posts on here.

All the best for you and your mum.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply the nurse has just been and taken bloods so hopefully we will know more next week. Today is the first day in 2 weeks that she says getting up this morning wasn't a battle

• Posted

Why was your mother prescribed the alendronic acid, did she have a bone scan which showed that her bone density was low?  I was scanned back in 1994 and was put onto that horrible stuff and was on it for seven years but didn't have any real bad effects.  Then I had a drug holiday when I slipped and fractured my femur so was put back on it again for another three years.  It now turns out that the medication is known to cause femur fractures and I have recently found out that I have a tiny fracture which will probably need to have a nail and screws to fix it which will match the one in my other leg.   It turned out that my T-scores from the bone scans weren't that bad anyway.  If your mother is only being given the medication because she is "old" and not because of the results of a bone scan I would tell her to stop taking them and see if she feels any better.  They can cause gastric problems, even if you take them properly, i.e. glass of water, staying upright for half an hour etc. which then means more medication to put it right.  Ask her doctor why she was put on the medication in the first place.  Hope she starts to feel better soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.