Side effects of Carbimazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there

Have been taking carbimazole since 2 September for Graves Disease and two days after starting the medication my left knee ballooned/hot/painful, my right foot did the same, my ribs are very painful as is my left breast.

My Endo has reduced the medication to 5mg 4 times a day, it was 10mg 3 times a day.

I will see how this goes, but was wondering if anyone else had the same problems.  It's bad enough with everything else but when it effect mobility and driving it is very frustrating.

Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I, m current ly on 30mg a day have been on carbimazol for nearly a year. PERSONALLY think the side effects, achey joints, fatigue and weight gain as side effects are worse than the disease. Irony is you have to be on it to regulate thyroid levels before doctor s will e en consider survery or radioioxi e therapy.  Frustrating
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about what may be, side effects of your medication. I will be starting 30mg Carbimazole per day as soon as my GP gets the letter from Endo (today or tomorrow) Iam  usualy quite sensative to meds side effects so it will be interesting to see how I feel, I certainly dont need anymore weight, so that worries me.

I feel theres no urgency from doctors even though I feel so ill. will update as things develop

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.

I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, it has been well controlled with diet alone and no medication - in the 3 years since I massively modified my food choices I have had no  RA flares and felt well.  I was recently diagnosed with Graves and after much reading and recommendations from the various helpful thyroid forums, I decided to take the carbimazlone in an effort to get things under control.  However, a few days into the carbimazole these awful symptoms started and seem to be getting worse, left knee like a balloon and very painful, right foot is about the same and also have painful ribs, breast and sometimes arms.  Finding it too difficult at work and it's just not safe to drive like this.  

Jeepers I hate this!!!!

Good luck ladies.

• Posted

Hi , yes I think this carbimazole is worse than the disease. Extreme fatigue and aching joints making it hard to work or function. It is not nice at all, have put on weight as well, nearly a year into it and not getting any better
  • Posted

Hi , I jhave very recently started  taking 30mg Carbimazole in the morning , feel ok untill few hours after taking, feel very tired, especially after eating. Appetite has dropped but find joint pain increased (worse than usual fibromyalgia pain) Also take propranalol for tremors and palpatations. Sweating as usual and headaches are also bad.  think this medication affects people quite differentley.

Will just have to see how it works , see endo again in about six weeks time.

• Posted

Good luck with endo, after a year of seeing mine, I am no further ahead.sick and tired of being sick and tired. Ever the optimist though, I've renewed my gym membership. Time will tell if I've wasted my money. Hope your news is better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.