Side effects - quitting smoking

Posted , 2 users are following.

My dad has been a smoker for 60 years and decided to just give up…that was 6 months ago, he has always been fit…but gradually since this time he has developed hearing problems, acid indigestion, dry eye syndrome, also swollen under eyes near cheeks (but has been told this is not an eye problem), fatigue, loss of appetite and generally feeling unwell, his blood now show is liver is slightly off and awaiting another blood test. However drs say he would not be getting problems after this time….but he seems to be suffering so many problems.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deb's I'm really pleased that your dad has managed to be quit smoking for6 months, that's an impressive time scale, do you mind me asking how old he is, also can I ask did he have any previous underlying health problems before he stopped, also what was his reasons for following this route

• Posted

Hi Alexandria, my dad is 78 but has always been fit and healthy....he had wanted to stop smoking for a while but then just decided thats it and stopped without any help.....after 60 years of smoking and about 50 a day.  That was August 1st last year but by the end of August is hearing started going, then eye problems/dry eye syndrome, by November a cold virus that has lingered, now doctors say his liver function is abnormal so having more tests but these have all appeared since giving up smoking.
    • Posted

Hi Deb's, I'm not going to say that it's not related because I'm not completely sure either way, I do know that smoking for that length of time and stopping cold turkey which I think you infer was probably not such a good idea, was he offered anything to help with this procedure, has he seen anyone regarding his health issues, I would suggest you take him back to his GP and take with you a list of all his problems no matter how trivial they seem at the moment, keep adding to it as you go till you see him/her, when your told that it's not quitting smoking that's caused his major problems I suggest you explain that he should have been offered support and maybe a nicotine substitute to help him. His body is going into a form of shock and needs help, is he eating and drinking healthily, without adequate fluids his liver will become slightly toxic, do you know which liver function test flagged up red

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.