Sigmoid Colectomy

Posted , 27 users are following.

After 4 years plus of diverticular disease and diverticulitis attacks I am finally having an op. Very apprehensive about it but hopefully it will give me some relief as I have been confined to the bathroom and sofa every morning for the past year. Has anyone else had surgery? Would love to hear from anyone who has had surgery as not finding many comments on surgery.​

1 like, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Annie-Marie,

I had a sigmoid colectomy nearly two years ago for diverticular disease. I too spent most of my day confined to the bathroom and was in constant pain. It's not an easy operation, the recovery is slow and you will need lots of help and support in the first few weeks. I feel so much better now although I still have some pain occasionally but now lead a normal life and I am very happy with the overall results. If you want to ask anything else please feel free!

• Posted

Thank you Stephanie for your quick response. I am so pleased it went well for you and I am sure it will work for me. I'll make sure it does. Did you have to have a colostomy bag? Temporary or permanent? Anything is better than how life has been for the past four years. So many antibiotics and tried everything regarding diet, medication etc but to no avail. Me and my hot water bottle have become very close friends!!
    • Posted

It's just miserable isn't it? Poor you! I was lucky not to have a colostomy bag although it's something my surgeon couldn't guarantee until he performed the op. I had peritonitis twice and that was just awful and I wondered how I would ever cope living as things were. I avoided certain foods but to be honest nothing helped much and I also had so many courses of antibiotics. I really am sure that you will feel so much better afterwards although don't expect miracles too quickly. It takes a year before things settle down completely. I really do hope that things get better for you, probably can't get much worse as I only too well know! When exactly are you having surgery?
    • Posted

Hi Stephanie! So pleased to hear you didn't have to have a colostomy bag.  Hopefully I won't either but am prepared for all the possible outcomes. Anythings better than present situation. Like you I felt I can't live my life like this anymore.....the pain and nausea every morning till about midday then constant stomach ache for rest of day. I'm fed up with soup!!!! Surgeon  did also say he won't know until op whether or not a bag will be needed. He did tell me it takes months to recover but I am prepared for that. Mid January I have pre-op assessment so op shouldn’t be too long after that.  X
    • Posted

All my very best wishes Annie-Marie for your op, hang on in there - things will definitely improve for you. Just think next Christmas you'll be able to enjoy a proper Dinner! Xx
    • Posted

Hi stephanie, wonder if you could help, i am facing a bowel resection opp next month, the surgens tell me they may be able to do it without the need for a stoma bag, how did it work out for you ?  
    • Posted

Hi Michael,

I wasn't given a lot of notice for my op after the results of my CT scan, it was all arranged quite quickly. I didn't have much time to look into the whole bag situation although I was prepared for the possibility it might happen. I was lucky enough not to end up with one in the end. The op was quite overwhelming, I don't think you can ever really know what to expect until it's done. I had a large abdominal incision, drains, catheter, patient controlled pain unit and a drip after. They did try to give me an epidural before my op which wasn't successful as they couldn't get the needle in correctly. If you are offered one definitely take it. I was seen by physiotherapist the next and was expected to try and walk a few steps which I did. It's a long slow recovery so don't expect to be able to do too much too soon. Six weeks minimum before you can drive and please don't do what I did and try to do too much as I ended up having another major op recently to repair an incisional hernia, have mesh fitted and muscle repair. It takes a good while for things to settle down - at least a year to eighteen months I would say but when you have recovered you will be so glad that you did it. It's not an easy op but so worth the end result. If you have help and support use it as much as possible. Hope that's been helpful Michael and if you need to ask anything else please feel free to contact me. All the very best of luck for your forthcoming procedure, please do let me know how it goes and in the meantime have a lovely Christmas

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

thank you for your reply, sounds like you've been through the mill. 

the surgeons seem confident they can do my op via key hole surgery, fingers crossed .

thanks again, and have a great christmas.

• Posted

Hi, I was scheduled for a sigmoid colectimy also after a bad emergency with just a washout and hospital for 4 days. Unfortunately I had another perforation during vowel prep for pre testing for my elective surgery. I wound up in emergency surgery with a temporary ileostomy and as much as I am happy to be alive....I wish that planned surgery would have happened. I had the ileostomy reversal 8 weeks later and so far so good. I feel great after 4 months but it was overwhelming. Be well when you have the surgery and it will be much better. How old are you and are you otherwise healthy?
    • Posted

Thank you Kelly for your reply .  Gosh how awful for you.  Sounds like you had a terrible time. Glad you have recovered from it all.  Such a shame it ended up being emergency surgery.  That's what my surgeon told me...that it much much better op and recovery if elective surgery.  So I am looking after myself although I am on antibiotics at the moment as have had a bad few days.  Normally I am fit and healthy, in my late 60s and definitely want it done now rather than in an emergency or when I'm older. X
  • Posted

Annie-Marie , most importantly, you are having scheduled surgery which is 10 times more in your favor. Emergency surgery is life threatening. I as well as many in this group waited too long; bowel perforates and recovery is complicated and so much longer than your elected surgery. I had the bag and was fortunate to have it reversed. It is NOT a big deal, the process is so much better than the suffering you have had for several years. No worries, you are absolutely doing the right thing...
    • Posted

Thank you Vic for your words of support.  Yes elective surgery is the way to go as I’ve been told. Certainly don't want emergency op.   You have all been so helpful with words of advice and encouragement.  Already feeling more positive about op and recovery and not worried about maybe having to have temp colostomy bag. The way I've been lately if it ends up permanent I will manage that okay too. X

• Posted

Anne Marie,

Don't worry. If your in good condition at time of elective surgery you probabably won't even have temporary colostomy or ileostomy. If you do however, it will most definitely be reversed. I feel better than I have for years. Like I said, I wish I would have made the elective surgery instead of the emergency perforation but it all worked out. I didn't realize how much pain and discomfort that diseased part of my colon was causing until now......I am pain free. So now my biggest worry is knocking off 10 lbssmilesmile

• Posted

So glad to hear you are pain-free Kelly.  Don't worry about the extra pounds....I'm sure that's because of the excitement and novelty of being able to eat what you want for a change.  I am sure it will balance out in the end and the most important thing is that you are feeling better in yourself.  I sometimes think no-one, unless they experience it have any idea how DD takes over your whole life!  Was on another course of antibiotics last week as another flareup.  Feeling much better now but am so paranoid about it messing up elective surgery am back on liquid diet again.  Have a lovely Xmas xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.