Silverware?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My staff and I care for a 77 year old woman with ET. Over the past 2-3 years her symptoms have gotten much worse and she has seen a doctor about it. Also being developmentally challenged (think 8 year old) has made things difficult for her and the staff.

We would like to get her an eating utensil she could use on her own to regain some of her dignity since she does like doing things on her own. I've seen them range in price from $15 USD to $200.

My concern is that her tremors are well past the point where any of them will work though - don't know the exact measurements to use, but say, her movement can range between 5-6 cm in any given direction and affects her entire arm, not just hands.

Don't mind spending some money on one, just want to make sure it will work first! Any suggestions?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Have you asked occupational  therapy at the hospital or social work department,they can assess the situation and supply suitable cutlery.

Hope this helps .

Regards Kath 

• Posted

Wish I could, but we live in a small town with an even smaller clinic available. Nearest hospital is 90 minutes away, so there aren't many professionals in the area to ask.

Figured it's easier to go online for answers than play phone tag with a hospital that's not techincally in our area anyhow!

• Posted

Hi again the eating utensil you are looking for is it for liquids or solids?

what does she use for drinking ?

• Posted

We can provide her a straw and since the tremors are localized to her hands and arms, she can do ok with it on the table. Most of the food served is solid... or at least small pieces, but still solid.
  • Posted

Hi ,have you ever thought about a free flow cup where she tips it to her mouth it just comes out and there is a lid on it so it does not spill on her.

Regards Kath

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.