Simultaneous sciatica and abdominal pain... Related?

Posted , 1 user is following.

What I've noticed is that every time my sciatic nerve starts to get that annoying burning sensation in my right leg down to my toes, I also have a needle like sensation about an inch to the right of my belly button. This started about 2 months ago.

What's interesting is that when I don't have the burning sensation in my leg -- usually after stretching a ridiculous amount or just waiting it out -- I don't have the needle like sensation in my stomach either. In other words, they always occur at the same time. But it wasn't always like this. I first realized I had sciatica back in 2016.

If it's the sciatica causing the abdominal pain, that's fine, I'll deal with it. However, my concern is that some people have said that you flat out cannot have abdominal pain that is related to sciatica. To me, it feels very connected. The nerves in my leg, and the pain point in my stomach.

Case in point, a post I found from 2012 on another website said "there are dermatromes, areas of the skin that are typically served by the the same bundle of spinal nerves," which is currently my level of reasoning for what's going on. Unfortunately my insurance denied an ultrasound to get it checked out.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.