Sinus Medication helps me to function with Meniere's.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have had meinier's disease for 20 years. I used to get episodes maybe once a year up to last year up to 3 times a year. In the last two months it has been constant. I stopped drinking caffeine especially coffee because I found it made my sinusitis unbearable. I also stopped milk. Had total releif from sinus pain and pressure. But, I think taking the caffeine (diuretic) away caused all the Meniere's attacks. Anyway, When I get an episode The only thing that works is a decongestant, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride. The disease is all about fluid in the ears. the decongestant dry's everything up. I can totally function. It stops the spins, nausea, ringing in the ears. No prescriptions have every worked. But this has saved my life and made me be able to function. When I get an attack. I take 60 mg and lay still for 45 min. to an hour. then I can get up and resume my day. Has anyone else tried this.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Nope never tryed but im gonna.

What type of decongestant do you use ?

• Posted

Just read the labels for any decongestant or sinus medication. You want pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride. I take 60mg at a time. It usually does the trick. I discovered it by accident a really long time ago. since my episodes weren't very often it worked great. Now they are daily. My doctor just prescribed SERC it is a Betahistine. Today is the first day. so far so good. It works as good as the decongestant but this perscription is designed specifically for Meniere's.
    • Posted

Hi are you taking the betahistine and the decongestant now? 

Just wondering as want to try it but can’t afford to be laid up? My gp has refused to give me a diuretic as she’s not comfortable treating something she doesn’t know enough about as well as refusing to allow me to up my dose of betahistine. 

I’m at breaking point now. 

• Posted

so sorry to hear this!!! I'm in the US and betahistine isn't allowed here but not sure why when other countries use it 😕

• Posted

Took a decongestant and was supprised at the outcome. I was put on my back 10 minutes after taken one. I dont know if it was a reaction to my MD medication or wether it just cause alot of movement in my ears !!

Also been left with awful tinitus in my right ear.

Not saying it dosent help, my reaction might just have been bad timming and i was due an attack, but im not trying again, as ive been put off the idea and head is still in a spin.

Thanks for suggestion though :!:

• Edited

Yes!!! I had severe menieres attacks almost daily for a couple weeks. I couldn't functioned. I was terrified since it was keeping me from my job and life. I tried Claritin D (psuedophederine) 24 hr. It was the ONLY thing that saved me! I have to take it daily. I tried missing a dose on two separate occasions and was immediately in a full blown meneries attack each time. I have been taking claritin d (generric) 24hr dly nonstop for 8 yrs now and have not had an attack since. My doctors write me a script for 1 mos supplies. I don't want to be on it for the rest of my life, but the alternative of being completely bedriddren unable to move or even turn my head is not an option.

• Posted

Hi there do you also take, or have you ever taken, betahistine? 

I’m on betahistine and it’s working in as much that I’ve not had a sever vertigo attack in 8 weeks, however, I still feel dizzy and have a lot of fullness in my ears. 

I’m just concerned about trying the 2 in conjunction with each other in case it gives a bad reaction. 

There are no recorded interactions between the two but just wondered if you’re on both? 

Thanks, Sarah 

• Edited

Yes it definitely does wok. I have had Meniere's now for almost 10 years. Like everyone here I have wanted to control it. I live in Alaska and noticed that a lot of the episodes would occur whenever we had a new weather front move in. This made me start correlating the change in barometric pressure that always accompanies a new weather front and the onset of a Meniere's episode. This led me to think that Meniere's is, for some people, a reaction/overreaction to a change in pressure, either from external sources like barometric pressure or in your case Guest 1 the reaction to withholding caffeine. Caffeine is a mild diuretic. Diuretics cause a different type of change in pressure a constriction of the blood vessels. 

As an experiment, I asked my pharmacist for the best  OTC medication for relieving sinus pressure and was suggested the same thing, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride or a Sudafed generic. In addition, a nasal spray with the active ingredient of Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride which is the generic active ingredient of Afrin was also suggested. These 2 medications can be used in combination or by themselves. And I can attest they work for me consistently. The only symptom they have no effect on, for me that is, is the tinnitus. But I can put up with that since the dizziness, fatigue and fuzzy thinking is gone.

However, there is a downside to these two medications if you have heart issues or high blood pressure or are taking medication for high blood pressure. Both of these medications constrict blood vessels.  This means that if you already have high blood pressure taking these medications can and will increase your blood pressure, especially if you take them for an extended period of time. In addition, using the nose spray for an extended period of time can cause your nasal passages to react negatively and clog up with nasal congestion. Essentially, they become addicted to the active ingredient.

So, if you do decide to take these medications and they work for you you should do the following. Only take the 12 hour Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride. When you do take it, take it sparingly, only when you have to. Or, you run the risk of having to make an unplanned visit to the E.R. as I did, where they had to give me high blood pressure medication intravenously. 

When taking Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride, only use it for three days. Then wait three days before resuming taking it. If not you can end up with an unplanned and very unpleasant stuffy nose that can be difficult to get rid of because your nasal passages have actually become addicted to it.

Remember, even though they are Over The Counter, they are still medications and should be treated as such. Used in moderation though, they can help you in your fight to overcome this debilitating condition. I wish you the best in this fight of ours.

• Posted

high snowman,

I totaly agree with you about barometric pressure,

when you think about it were are spinning round some 1200mph

in space and its taken an evolution for us to learn to balance that combined

with our orbit round the sun (which is not even) must have an effect on us

all not only meniere's sufferers ..when you think about it when we have a

meniere's attack it seems with the virtigo we are feeling that full force of 1200mph

in an attack..its only a theory but the intense tinnitus could also be to much are

pressure...stay welll..

• Edited

I was diagnosed with Menier’s 8 years ago.  I am 47 yo male and have been through the whole process of trying the best routines to stay healthy.  My right ear is almost completely dead but I still wear a hearing aid.  When I sleep well, take my diaretic and stay away from caffeine and salt I manage well.  However, sometimes I still fill up and have to get through days, sometimes weeks feeling dizzy.  I found that Sudafed gets me sharp again and able to function.  For those of you with Menier’s, you know that the dizziness leads to anxiety and the anxiety could lead to a vertigo attack.  So when the dizziness comes on, take a Sudafed.  Make sure they are the good ones with the ephedrine.  Good luck.  A response is appreciated.
  • Posted

Not long just taken pseudoephedrine and I’m feeling a bit dizzy, did anyone else find this happened initially and eased off? 

When do you take it etc? 

• Posted

Hi, I am 25 years old and got diagnosed with Meniere's just a year ago.. I just bought sudafed today because I've been having severe episodes for about 2 weeks now... I saw an article about sudafed being a stimulant and possibly making the ears worse... What do you think I should do? because i also see a lot of people saying nasal decongestants have helped them and I am looking for advice! thanks!!

• Posted

My pharmacy only has the Sudafed congestion and headache medication, with phenylephrine hydrochloride. Will this also work? I've had such a bad flare up this last month, with 2-4 -attacks per week with vomiting. I'm willing to try anything. I have restarted acupuncture which I had five years ago when I was first diagnosed, and this seemed to help.

Thank you in advance for any response or advice.

• Posted

hi i haven't tried the decongestant because i have hypertension and it increases my BP, but also gives me heart palpitations. the ent just prescribed Betahistine. haven't tried it yet. I get back on here and let you know if it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.