sinus operation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi to everyone,

I am jut new to this forem, i have the operation done 8 weeks now with no success the mucos is very bad again and  i am on antibiotics. has anyone the same problem i am useing nasel spray and saline wash.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

(I'm new to this forum also) sorry for the long response...

Dear joh1:

have you considered getting allergy shots to help with the drainage? Maybe you have allergies to your environment? now that u had sinus surgery, you may be more acceptable to allergens that maybe you weren't before your surgery? As for me I have more air flow but now I'm more acceptable to pollen, dust, dirt irritating and inflaming my sinuses. Which in turn causes mucus production.

I had sinus surgery and it made my symptoms MUCH worse. I have chronic sinusitis (drainage) to the point I could not barely speak. I would have to clear my throat before I would speak. speaking was a struggle!!

I've been on allergy shots now for 3 months and has helped me tremendously. Although I still have drainage it's not as bad as it was before.

Another suggestion...I got myself a CPAP machine to help moisturise my sinuses. I talked with my asthma doc and I was telling her about my sinuses. I would get this terrible taste in my mouth. (Drove me nuts!) So I suggested if I could get a CPAP machine to be used for moisture. I turn it up the machine to number 5. The highest setting for humidification. I can tell the CPAP machine really helps and there are nights I get too lazy and I don't use it. When I don't use it I can really tell the difference.

I also noticed that since my surgery I can not be outside on windy days without a mask covering my nose and mouth. I think the air irritates my sinuses and my face would hurt. (Pollen, etc would irritate the sinuses and your body's defence would kick in and produce mucus).

Lastly my ENT doc said to get this product at my local Rite Aid store or online..(otc) called Alkalol. It's a natural soothing nasal wash mucus solvent and cleaner. I really like it. It has a menthol feeling like it's opening up my sinuses.

Again sorry for the long response but as others read this I hope that you all find it helpful.

Best wishes to everyone...

• Posted

Hi Mandy61231,

Thanks for your detailed post, i never condsidered allergy shots, i got surgery on 15 august  for deviated septum but it was always mucos was my big problem, after the operation it got worse i got two appointments since with the ent doc he said now its got worse and as iwrite this i am waiting for another operation he says that that operation they done was a sucess but that my sinus are all allergies he said they are going to try to push the mucos back with pads and if that dosent work they have to do a op to clear it out,(escuse any spelling mistakes) This last few days its not as bad and i dont know why but i give up some dairy products inc milk, you have got it far worse, you should put that reply you sent me in the new discussions post it  might help someone else,

Many thanks i really appreciate your reply.

I hope you get a lot better soon,

Joh1 xx

• Posted

Yes...My problem got MUCH worse also after surgery also. The side effects are more debilitating than the original reasons for having the surgery in the first place.

Do u do a Netti pot? That may help you also? The water will not burn like the fond childhood memory of inhaling pool water (not!) the baking soda changes the water. If interested I can give u ratio of baking soda and sea salt to make formula. Got from ENT doc. Saves u buying packets from store.

Avoiding dairy is because dairy products are mucus producing foods.

I'm saying this next thing from my own experience...the more times I had surgery. The more scar tissue formed in my sinuses. Therefore over time that scar tissue would tighten and cause facial pain. I have surgery consult tomorrow because I can not tolerate the facial pain anymore. I would feel great after surgery for some time but the mucus will build up again and Scar tissue.. I'm back in the same situation and pain. (Something on the right sinus did not stay in place from one of my surgeries). So I'm at risk for causing more scar tissue to form after this surgery but I can not take the pain anymore. Darn if I do and Darn if I don't. Scar tissue pretty much closed off the sinuses above my eyes. Pain.

I would (politely) suggest this to you. get allergy testing to see what you are allergic to before having surgery? Try getting the allergy shots and see if you are better in approximately 3 months. Then weigh options for surgery. Less surgery the better because of scar tissue forming. Hope u don't mind me suggesting this.

Sorry again for a long response... smile Was this one shorter than last one? Haha.

I will post my story like u suggested in another feed.

M~

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.