Sinus problems and so far nothing has worked

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well it kind of started over 4 weeks ago with stuffy sinuses but no discharge of thick or yellow snot. Acually the complete opposite it was clear and very little. Doc told me at first it may clear itself and to give it about 14 days and if no improvement come back. He did suggest a saline nasal spray to try and help clear and cleanse. It worked a bit but really all its done is to move it deeper in to the sinuses, head and back towards my ears. I also tried ibuprofen to help reduce the inflamation and pain but it yet again had no real effect.

Just over a week ago went back to the Doc and he gave me 100mg Doxycycline 1 a day. However they made zero effect. So was back again and have now been put on 250mg Clarithromycin twice a day for 10 days. 2 days in very marginaly better. Nose still very dry and stuffy. pressure on the sinuses easesd a little and the headache less. Only other thing is that I have been drinking more water and peeing more (clear). Plus all I seem to smell is ham?

Now I am type 2 diabetic but its under control with blood sugar levels only a tiny bit above normal just now. Had blood checked for kidney function just over a fornight ago and was within normal limits and no significant change from previous results. Blood pressure is doing ok with the varying med I have.

Hoping that this batch of Antibiotics really start to work over the weekend and that I begin to feel near to normal again. Any thoughts more than welcome.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Ken, what is normal anymore! I'm afraid we will never see normal again! Having a hard time of it like you. Just so sick of this crap happening to me. Tired of feeling like crap and being sickly like. I know what you are going through. I'm going to ask my ent Doctor on this coming up Monday if my immune system is working to hard that it's making my lymphnodes go into overdrive! My under arms really are messing with me. I just hope that lymphoma isn't involved! Good luck and keep fighting the sinusitis monster. Because he seems never to get tired or take a day off. lol.
  • Posted

Hi Kenneth, just a word of warning not to rely on antibiotics too much.  Has the doc actually said it's an infection?  Remember they wipe out all the good bacteria in your body along with the bad - and you actually need the good guys!  If the doc prescribes something else please don't accept Ciprofloxacin (or Levofloxacin or any other floxacin all of which are Quinolones).  This family of antibiotics can give you very serious adverse reactions which have actually disabled many people (I'm not joking, look at the threads under 'fluoroquinolone toxicity').

When I had chronic sinus trouble which ABs didn't shift my doc suggested dissolving menthol crystals in hot water and inhaling the vapour (don't scald your nose though!).  After 3 days my sinuses were clear. It still always works for me whenever I get the sinus headache.

• Posted

Thanks for the comments so far.

Well into day 3 of the new antibiotic and there seems to be a very small bit of improvement. When woke up I was a bit stuffy but the ears were clearer than they have been and the sinuses have now relaxed a bit after being up for a few hours.

However some new problems have been developing but I think I may have sussed out where the seat of the problem is. Along shot maybe but here goes. About 4 or 5 days after developing sinus problems I had really painfull toothache in my upper rear molar on my left side. As it happened at the weekend I had to go to the emergency dental clinic. The tooth had been broken for some time to just above the gum line. Upto then it had never given me any pain even when it first broke up (I know I should have gone to dentist after it happend). It was decided to remove what was left. My god that was a rough one but once it was out I felt better. There was a real disgusting taste imediatley after but the dentist washed out the area and it clottted up nicely. Now it was sore fo a few days but it soon eased and it was just the sinuses still giving me problems.

My problem now is this is where I am now getting some pain (prickly at times but  mostly dull ache) and it is spreading along the bottom of my left  cheek bone. Its also radiating up to my temple area, into my neck and I now have a clicking grating sound in my jaw joint but only when chewing food. There is no swelling to be noted on my face or in my mouth.  This all seem to be pointing to Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) or Trigeminal Neuralgia. It could even be a combination of both. I'm even begining to wonder if there is still a bit of root left in. The dentist never took x-ray after extraction which is what my normal dentist does so I assume it all came out. Its a bugger that I always seem to develop new symtoms at the weekend when you cant get to your own dentist or doctor.  I'll see how it goes for the rest of today and tomorrow. If its not eased I'll go to my dentist first thing Monday to see If all of the tooth is out and take it from there.

Sorry if this post is drifting to far from sinus issues but I now feel that the tooth problem has been the start point. With it being the possible initial soure of the infection which then moved rapidly into my sinuses.The pain of which has masked the underlying issue with the tooth and jaw. Going to take a couple of painkillers to see if helps but I'm not holding my breath! Any how I'm trying to remain positive and will try and relax for the rest of the weekend.

• Posted

Ken, tooth issues suck! I think that's how my sinus problem started from a Root canal.  Ent Doctor on Monday. Meanwhile once I finished my two week amoxicillin treatment within 36 hours I felt like I was so sick again. Man I hate this sinus crap. I called dear old PCP Doctor again and he put me back on the amox and I feel like a new man. But the thing is it's going to come back after these thirty tabs are done. I just know it. And I had to get a molar removed last week also.  Man that was a rough extraction to say the least. Losing teeth cause of my sinus problems for sure. Hope that we both get our just do! Hang in there cause I am and it's been one hell of a ride Kenny.
    • Posted

How did you get on with the ENT doc? Hopefully good news with a plan of attack to more comfortable sinuses.
  • Posted

Heading into day 5 of Clarythromicin and its still tough going. Only time I'm getting a little relief at the moment is about an hour or so after taking my antibiotic and it lasts for few hours. Bummer. The headache across the top of my forehead is now the worst part. It really never goes away. Even first thing in the morning its there but very mild. It will ease thru breakfast and is amost away till noon then its comes back. Afternoons are the worst. Face starts feeling like its being pulled towards a spot on the bridge of my nose and the suffy feeling returns.Does get a bit soul destroying which the stess and tension doesn't help matters.

Not really had much problems with the antibiotic, no diarrhoea, being sick, indigestion or stomach pain. I know that they can give you a headache maybe that has made mine seem to be a bit worse. My remaining eysight is a little more worse with a bit more blurriness (got glaucoma with the left one totaly gubbed and reduced vision in the right. Pressures were just over mid range back in March. Currently drop controlled). I seem to have developed a small rash on the back of my neck. Its only about a fingers width and length of about 3 inches. Although this may be a towel burn from rubbing to hard from drying up after my shower yesterday evening. No other rashes elsewhere. Today has be the first day with out any dizziness though so something positive for change. Maybe clearing from the middle ear then.

• Posted

Well the weekend has come and gone and were into the middle of the week. First of the rash was defo self inflicted as it has gone. As for the sinuses and nose, well the nose is still very dry with little discharge. What little there is is clear and normal crusty dryed up bits in the nostrils. Still stuffy though. But getting a little relief from ginger tea.

Not had any more dizziness/vertigo feelings. The ear stuffyness comes and goes. Still the biggest problem is the constant headache it can be really tight down to just a hint. Wouldn't mind so much if I could at least get a couple of hours or so completly free. Yet again the ginger tea is so far the only thing that gives a bit of relief.

Thankfully the jaw clicking has dissappeared as quick as it arrived and the sites of tooth extraction are doing well and pain free. Still got three more days of the antibiotic so hopefully should be clear of infection.

• Posted

Its that friday feeling. Delight or dread? Was back a the doc this morning as woke to a rasping of the back of my nose and into throat. Had a wee bit of it yesterday morning but it wore  off within about 45-50 mins. This morning woke early and it was rough. Still sore now at 1130 but eased from what it was. Sinus wise they have been just as inflammed as ever so I thought, right get to the doc and see whats happening.

Well the doc checked me over and believes that any infection is now well gone all that i have left is the inflamation. As for the back of nose throat it should ease once the normal nose function retruns and to aid it take some sugar-free Strepsils to soothe the throat. Done and it eased the rasp. Back to the nose/sinus inflamation the doc gave me beclometasone nasal spray to ease it and hopefully it will let my beek get back to nearer normal. Once I get it reduced  I should have less pressure going back to ears too.Then just maybe I'll get a better sleep and feel a bit less stressed and irritable.

Will keep you posted

• Posted

Just a quick one. Still suffering the same if not a bit worse but more so in the left maxillary. Its burning something awful in particular down the natural crease from bottom corner of nose toward the corner of the mouth. Pressure yet again generally left sided plus noticing mucus taste getting worse. Not looking forward to tonight and what state my sleep will be like. Why oh why does it have to be the weekend  when you start felling more crap. Any tips or tricks to ease things up?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.