Six weeks post total hip replacement revision nonweightbearing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Six weeks post total hip replacement revision nonweightbearing. 

Hello new friends, I have just joined this group! I have a very long history of many hip surgeries,  this most recent surgery, (6 weeks ago) a revision of my right total hip replacement which was originally done five years ago. I have been recovering at home with a walker and a hospital bed, because of a total non-weight-bearing protocol for the first five weeks post surg.  Was cleared by my surgeon last week to begin physical therapy this week. In past experience I know that it will be another 4 to 6 weeks until full weight bearing and resuming walking with one crutch or a cane. 

The careful protocol is because of the bone damage, necessitating 3 screws into the pelvis to secure the new implants. 

wondered if anyone else in this group has had similar experiences and would be willing to share. I'm getting discouraged and frustrated, with the lack of mobility as well as the ongoing pain of recovery. PS I have a posterior incision at the same site of the previous incision to replace that h with the lack of mobility as well as the ongoing pain of recovery. PS I have a long posterior incision at the same site of the previous incision to replace that hip. 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi glad to see you on site, sorry I can't comment on your course as I went a totally different route but always interested to read all the different variations of treatment, you will soon be up and about I'm sure

• Posted

Hello Celaine! Welcome to this great forum. I had my first ever rthr back on July 18. 3 weeks later I found out I dislocated it when I went to see dr for follow up. 2 days later I was back in hospital to see if he could pop back in but couldn't. My first incision was in front of thigh, anterior. The second incision was done on side of thigh. Once in he discovered the ball was hooked up on cup. Cup was loose and had stress fracture on thigh bone from being dislocation so long and had to do revision. All new hardware. 😫 Then he put me on strict orders of non weight bearing, no hip flexion past 80 or any movement of hip for 6 weeks. Only thing I could do was foot pumps, butt squeezes & knee press down. Around the 4 week I was able to do heel slides. But again couldn't go past 80. Was hopping on good leg using walker, and for longer hauls and sitting was in a wheelchair. Tried crutches at the 4 the week. Was scared didn't want to fall. Now just this past Wednesday saw dr again since I was at my 6 weeks and X-rays showed bone grew into cup & stem. Was able to do full weight as tolerated and walk using walker. My poor shoulders were killing me didn't think they could do much more. Hands were so sore and calloused. Foot & ankle had gotten so swollen, would get cold and was darker in color than other foot. Now foot has settled down, swelling has gone down no more cold, does feel a little weird sometimes. Tingles when I first start to walk but getting better. My buttock is starting to bother me and so are the incisions. Sensitive and feel tight. I don't know, it's like starting all over again but now am walking. Nerves are firing up and muscles are weak from non movement for those 6 weeks. I can't imagine all what you have been through!! How are you feeling?? Prayers that all will get better for you and you have a speedy recovery! You so deserve it!! Tomorrow I'll start physical therapy. I had already begun doing a few more things since I got reevaluated Thursday. So I've been walking/weightbearing for 5 days now. It's been a little scary for me. Still testing this leg out. Again God bless you and help you to get better! hugs, 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

I know what you mean by being frustrated and discouraged. I felt the same thing and still trying to get out of this depression. I be been crying every day for past 2 weeks. But I can honestly say I'm seeing improvements. It's still s long road but I'll get there! Do you have friends that can come by and visit or family to cheer you up? Watching movies, sleep, good books. Hobbies? Hang in there it will get better. It's hard but you have come this far!! 🤓💐🌷🌹🎃

• Posted

Hi Linda thank you so much for your comments and I feel your pain! I cry every day to whether from pain or frustration… My hands are so calloused and torn from using the walker and crutches, I had my other hip, which has also had two hip replacement surgeries, is achy and sore from carrying all my weight. The doc took x-rays last week and luckily all the parts are still where he put them, but new bone growth showing yet... Hence the next 4 at least weeks of physical therapy to resume full weight-bearing. I have had lots of nice visitors, and movies to watch, however it is only us that has to live with her own confinement!

Might I ask your age dear? I just tuned 59, and this is my fourth hip replacement, my fifth hip surgery with the same surgeon :-)

• Posted

That was supposed to read we both just passed the six week mark! I also begin outpatient PT tomorrow so let us continue to share war stories…
    • Posted

😆. I'll b 54 Dec 2. I spend a lot of my time alone. Hubby has to work and leaves by 630. No one outside of my therapist and once a week a lady from my church comes to give me communion. Last week a friend, well she's my granddaughter's aunt on her dad side wanted to come see me and see if I needed help with anything. I feel bad to ask ppl to mop my floor or vacuum so we talked. But at the time I was only able to sit in wheelchair for an hr or so. Or else I would pay later with foot & ankle swelling. I had another friend stop by to mop my floor. She asked what I needed and I really hated to say that but my floor was so nasty! Poor hubby he tries but no one can keep a floor clean like me!! 😜 That's other thing, I feel useless not being able to do the things I was doing. But I have to stay clear of those things. That may be what did me in in July! 😞 So are you moving more? 🤗LD

• Posted

I'm still with home health therapy for at least 3 weeks. Dr didn't want me to drive yet since foot was swollen and tingly. Are you driving? I had to go to my dr appt in one of those medical vans since he didn't want me doing any car transfers either! So when I go see him again I can go in my own vehicle. Still can't drive till he releases me. I have not driven since July 8. And have not been a passenger in a vehicle since August 11!! 😳

• Posted

My husband also is gone all day. Buy luckily both my parents live close by and have been stopping by and also running errands for me!

College daughter also in town but very busy-she stops by once a week. Hubby was trying to keep up with housework and groceries, but after a month I called up an old housekeeper and now she comes every 2-3 weeks. ESPECIALLY to mop the floors. 😇

• Posted

Oh I'm

So sorry about the no driving and also so much alone time...that's tough.

This week is my 7th week and am just now starting outpatient PT, . will be 4-6 weeks more until walking or driving. No driving for a long time because it's my right leg and all the screws need time to bind with the pelvic bone.

• Posted

Wow that's along time. Celaine. Yeah this Thursday will b my 7th week too! Well may we both heal and resume the life we knew!! 🤗🤓. LD

• Posted

I see my daughter after work every day because my hubby picks up my granddaughter from school everyday. Right now tho I'm not feeling so good do not very sociable. LD

• Posted

Meant not feeling very sociable. Hard to find comfy place to sit after awhile. Usually need to lay in bed. LD
    • Posted

I so understand feeling unsociable. I've been quite guarded in receiving visitors. Let folks know-call first please!!! And yes after a little while of sitting up, take to my bed to stretch and moan. Ice and pain meds help.

Peace and sleep to you dear one, this night.

Hope to talk more soon. Or tomorrow.

Remember you ARE NOT ALONE.

• Posted

Morning Celaine!! Hope you had a good night! By last nite my bum was hurting! Got upset with hubby and went to bed. This morning feels better but when sitting feels like sitting on a rock!! Feels like I can't catch a break!! Hope you have a good day! Pt comes in about 4 hours. Will see how it goes! LD

• Posted

Hi Linda

Sure do know what you mean when you talk about sitting on a rock! Feels like a big lump inside my bum. I think that is all the Gluth muscles that have been cut through and trying to heal?!

how did PT go for you this afternoon?

Cbp

• Posted

Hey Celaine! It was good. Not doing too much just yet. Did about 6 new exercises standing up. When I bend my knee it's soooo tight in my thigh. I can't bend it too much so she wants me working on that one several times a day. It did leave my thigh pretty sore!! Said to massage the knot in the thigh/bum area with a ball. I didn't even know dr has moved my bum s little to help with length! (I was 1&1/2 inches short.)That is what really sux! Can't sit comfortably!! I been wanting to go out side! After being in the 90s with heat index of 102 we finally got a lil taste of cooler weather......80s!! Yesterday we were flooding!! Texas weather!! How was your physical therapy?? 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

Good morning Linda and if your morning after the first PT is anything like mine, it's a slow one! Painful and slow. PT went well, challenging and tender. Maybe that's the metaphor for PT in general-speaking as a long patron-challenging and tender.

She really pushed me to put begin putting weight on my right foot and leg , and to begin "walking "" from heel to toe. Ha ha, so after six weeks of not walking, one is to put the heel down and put weight on it. Nothing like rocking your world, I was just getting good at that an nothing like rocking your world, I was just getting good at that!!

Anyway yes standing exercises gradually shifting way to that side and happiness – working on the glutes :-)

• Posted

Morning Celaine! Mentally I'm in a depressed mode....feel unmotivated and about to cry ........again!!! I just hate not being able to sit comfy anywhere!! It's discouraging to me!! 😫 I finally got my A-- off the recliner and got to doing the exercises the pt told me to do. She will be back tomorrow. I talked to my dr cause I wanted to see if doing a couple of stairs was ok. I have 2 I got to take to get to the driveway. (Tomorrow pt is gonna show me how to get into my truck correctly and safely. First time since Aug 11!!) He was ok with it said he wants me to get more active every day. Said I have bursitis that's y I have the pressure on side of hip when walking and that ugly lump when sitting. Said hoping all will go away in about 6 weeks now that I am moving. So here's hoping!! Glad all is well for you!! Remember listen to your body!! Hugs, 🤗🤗. LD

• Posted

Hugs right back to you dear and much patience with yourself. I still burst into tears at least once every day! I think it'll be a long time before I drive but who knows...Will you be able to drive once you can get in the truck?!

• Posted

Not yet...😞 I go see him in a couple of weeks and he said then I can start driving. I have not driven since July 18!! I'm scared!! Gonna go look for an empty big parking lot and see how I do!! We have a lot of traffic so there's a lot of stop & go so I want to be sure I'm safe and others too!! 😁 I'm ready for a car ride!! Being stuck at home is no Bueno!!!!😊 LD

• Posted

Celaine does it hurt when you do the "world rocking" heel to toe step?? I'm noticing mine hurts. More at the outside of foot. Like the last 2 toes at bottom of foot. 😫😫. I'm getting discouraged!! LD

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.