Sjogrens & Kefir

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, is it safe to drink Kefir with SS. I make my own Kefir, but have read that you shouldn't use probiotics if your immune system is compromised, which it is with SS.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disorder like Grave's disease, Hashimoto's or Type 1 diabetes. These disorders are characterized by an over-active immune system targeting body tissues like the salivary glands or tear glands (Sjögren's syndrome), the thyroid (Hashimoto's) or the pancreas (diabetes).

A compromised immune system, also known as an immunodeficiency, is when your immune system is under-active and can't defend your body efficiently enough against pathogens like bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Where you prescribed immune suppressants to ease the symptoms of your SS?

I have Grave's disease. I have made kefir at home and consumed it for years. I typically have a small amount each day and have not observed any adverse effects.

• Posted

Dan73 gives a good description of the difference between autoimmune disease (Sjogren's) and compromised immune systems.

Personally, i start almost every day with plain, whole fat Bulgarian yogurt made where i live. Tho i'll eat a handful of nuts and maybe some greens w/olive oil at the same time, the yogurt is the first thing into my system. It hasn't aggravated my Sjogren's at all. Back when i made my own kefir, i drank it plain. If you do that & don't add sugar/fake sugar, it should be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.