Sleep Aid Gadgets - Do they work? Please share your experience or recommendation.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everybody. First I would like to apologise if this topic has already been discussed before in the forum. I couldn't find anything. Maybe I am not good at searching.. Sorry. Now on topic: have you used a sleep aid gadget before. I am having trouble sleeping (no matter how much I sleep I still feel tired in the morning) and I am looking at a few gadgets currently on the market to try. I won't mention names or post links because I don't want to advertise any of them. Just wanted to know if anyone have any experience with this sort of gadgets and if you could recommend any of them. I will greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

I’ve probably gone through as many sleep gadgets as pretty much anyone on the planet. I'm the "sleep guy" among my circle of friends and here’s a partial list of what I’ve found …

Ear plugs

I find earplugs very helpful. Even if it’s not a noisy environment I’m sort of addicted to them because then I hear my own breathing, which I find relaxing. Studies show that the foam ones, such as the brownish ones sold by Walgreens, provide the most sound blockage.

White Noise Machines

I also find white noise machines to be relaxing even if there isn’t a lot of outside noise. A good online one is the white noise generator provided by TMSoft.

I have mild/moderate sleep apnea so here is some sleep apnea information …

CPAP Machines

CPAP machines work for many people, but some people find it very hard to get used to them. Nowadays there are some very sophisticated ones available. There are a lot of good discussion boards where people really geek out on their CPAP settings, such as the Sleep Apnea Board. (I was never able to get used to a CPAP machine.)

Chin Straps and Dental Appliances

Chin straps and dental appliances can cure sleep apnea by keeping your mouth closed, which keeps your tongue pulled up and forwards, and that makes the breathing passage at the back of the throat wider or prevents obstruction. Chin straps and dental appliance will cure mild to moderate sleep apnea where it is only a matter of the positioning of the tongue, but won't help with severe obstructive sleep apnea.

Dental appliances work for many people, but some people find it hard to sleep with something in their mouth. And those dental appliances which force the jaw forward a few millimeters can be especially uncomfortable.

The standard neoprene chin straps are terribly designed and are pretty much useless because they push your jaw directly into the jaw joint. The only exception to this I’ve found is the Knightsbridge dual band chin strap which produces a vertical lift on the jaw. (I sleep with the Knightsbridge chin strap every night. It cures my sleep apnea, keeping my blood oxygen level in the 90s throughout the night.)

Nasal Dilators

Many people (including me) find it helpful to use a nasal dilator in combination with a chin strap or dental appliance since a nasal dilator helps with nose breathing. My favorite is the Nasal Aid. The Nasal Aid is very different from most other nasal dilators – it is made of spring steel with two plastic pads and is very comfortable. Most other nasal dilators consists of a pair of soft plastic tubes. Of the soft plastic tube dilators, I like the light blue Snore Care Sets by Dortz.

If you think you might have sleep apnea I’d suggest you start with the cheap and easy treatments, or start with a home test using something like a FitBit.

Good luck! Here's wishing you deep and restful sleep.

• Posted

I started using a CPAP machine about three months ago. I can't seem to get my "time" up to the recommended level. A techie told me air is leaking from the mask.

I have tried wearing a ski hat over the straps for the mouthpiece. That helps. I now bury the tube under a pillow so I can lay on my side. That helps some more, but I don't think enough. I may have to create some type of facial mask to separate my beard from the CPAP mask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.