SLeeping problems. I need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been like this for 2 weeks now. I am so tired but I cant sleep. If I fell asleep the sleep I got is just like 3 hours and then stay awake till morning. Also this has been happening a lot to me, everytime I was about to fall asleep my body jerks. Sometimes my left hand sometimes my feet. I dont know. Im just so tired right now. Im getting crazy abou this. Please someone help?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to see a Doctor.  I doubt anyone here can diagnose your issue.
  • Posted

I think you need to see your GP if you are still suffering sleep issues after 2 weeks. Maybe a "life event" has happened recently to trigger the sleep problems that's you've not quite picked up on.

I can tell you though the jerks your experiencing sound like hypnic jerks or sleep starts they are harmless but they do feel quite intense. I can completely sympathise with you on this as I have suffered from them myself in the past.

It's almost a catch 22 situation because these hypinc jerks can worsen the more sleep deprived you become.

If you smoke try not to have too many cigarettes before bed again the same with coffee or caffeine products as we know these are stimulants so try cut back on these later in the day.

I no its easier said than done but try not to get too hung up on not sleeping as much as you usually do as it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy can't sleep won't sleep.

Wishing you sleep however brief it may be. ??????

(I only sleep 3 hours a night and have managed on this for the last 10 years it's become normal now)

• Posted

Hi Skadushn79566,

I have had similar problems and it took me a year of being reliant on a variation of sleeping medications before I started to find a solution to the problem. It has been a giant jigsaw puzzle but I have finally put all the pieces together and 18 months since it started I am almost back to full health.

I went to see my doctor about these problems (6 months ago) and they referred me to counselling for sleeping disorders. At the time I did not feel that this was a psychological matter as I do a lot of meditation and know my mind was very still, I felt very much that this was a physical condition.

Western medicine really does not have solutions for these kinds of problems apart from to treat the symptoms with depressant drugs, but sleep disorders very often start as psychological ones, so I can imagine this is why counselling can be effective in some cases. However there are many other reasons people suffer from chronic sleep disorders such as the one you have mentioned and overwork, stress - physical, emotional and mental are often contributing factors. It would be helpful to know more about you - age, sex, work, hobbies and exercise - often excessive exercise can be a factor - anything you think could be relevant.

The jerks you experience are called hypnagogic jerks, and are a bodily response to the lack of sleep. Your body is probably producing too much adrenaline and this is keeping you awake even though you are tired, and as another has already commented on this is a catch 22 situation  as your body needs sleep to heal but it cannot get it. Your body has become unable all be it temporarily to fix itself.

I cannot speak for your condition too much as I do not have enough information but I had similar symptoms where my body would wake up after 3-4 hours and I would not be able to get back to sleep. I have since been able to rectify this condition, but due to the terms of this forum I am unable to give you the advice unless you ask me for it, at which point I will be happy to provide you what worked for me.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.