Sleeping with bronchiectasis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have bronchiectais.  There are times when I can only sleep in a reclining position.  If I was to lay flat, I wheeze and cough too much to be able to sleep.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for replying yes I know wat you meet just with more users to odd this thing I go see doctor at hospital next month guess I just have to wait for that.sorry to sound down but this condition makes me feel so alone right now I'm Gald at least we have this site to come to. Thanks hope you can get some more sleep.
    • Posted

This illness was really getting me down, but after being on this website and being able to 'talk' to other people with the same illness, I don't feel so alone.

Also, I receive useful tips on how to manage this illness.  I hate feeling tired and sick most of the time and not be able to do the things I want to do. 

Start thinking 'outside the box' on what you can find out about how to manage this thing.

• Posted

Yes I will iv had it now for 2 years been in hospital last year this time and have cope ok since then been on antboits on and off since then but this time it seem different. But thanks and I will let you know how it goes wait for mucus text to come back x
  • Posted

I sleep with 2 pillows when I had a chest infection I had a v pillow as well but made my ribs hurt don't know if I had slept funny x
    • Posted

I'm just worried at moment well since last 2 weeks just can't clear my chest where before did it twice a day no pob.
    • Posted

I use a V pillow (pillow wedge).  I put a pillow on top for my head and a flatter, smaller pillow under my waist so that my back is not so curved. Try that. Or use a rolled up or folded towel at the waist.
  • Posted

hi i have to sleep with my pillows high up so i dont need to cough or choke on mucus, i also wake up 3 times or more at night in buckets of sweat and needing to cough up mucus

• Posted

hi i have to sleep with my pillows high up as i will cough or choke on mucus, i also wake up 3 times at night in buckets of sweat and coughing up mucus

• Edited

Do you mean that you CANNOT sometimes sleep in a reclining position? (laying flat) Have you tried all the usual things? Such as:

1. First, clearing out your nose/sinuses in case they are running. (I have chronic sinusitis as a complicating factor.) I use a saline solution several times while blowing my nose.
    2. Do you do your airway clearance techniques soon before bed? (to get your lungs clearer before sleep)
    3. Do you stay hydrated? (to make mucus come out more easily) This sounds counter intuitive to some, but lungs get too mucusy faster if you are not hydrated.
    4. If you just can't sleep lying down and pillows do not help, try sleeping in a comfortable recliner in a mostly up position. It's not a bed, but it may help you sleep.
    5. Have you tried nebulizing before bed? If not, talk to your doctor about it. Nebulize, then do your ACTs.
    6. If you are much overweight, then losing some may help you breath easier.

Bronchiectasis comes in all sizes and variations, so be sure and talk to your doctor about your issues.

Oh...one more thing that helped me: aerobics. Start from where ever you are, even if just means walking more. For some this makes them tired or winded, but it is still good for your lungs. Use it or lose it! Just sitting around all the time can make your condition worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.