Slipped disc

Posted , 3 users are following.

It has become apparent that it's very difficult to have any medical professionals to take back pain seriously! Weeks of waiting for appointments for MRI,physio ect. I'm presently taking gabapentin having had my symptoms ignored! My MRI showed disc pressing on my nerve and sac! Anyone else having side affects of gabapentin or any suggestions

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was the same, I found the medication caused other problems. I was on Gabapentin and had side effects. It was very strange, so I stopped taking them. Waiting times are very bad and the longest I've waited was 26 weeks for an appointment. I'm now waiting to see another Consultant as I have pain in my right leg and side and numbness in my hands. My scans show some disc bulges in my lower back and scoliosis in my upper.

I also get numbness in my right leg at night time which makes it hard to sleep.

Hoping to have answers soon as it's gone on to long and is getting me down.

I use a 10s machine now to manage pain and hot and cold pads too, seems to help.

Best of luck

• Posted

Yes, my doctor initially didn't take my back pain seriously either - I pushed for an MRI

And was give 100-200mg of gabopentin. It didn't touch the pain.

Two weeks later with the results of the MRI (L4-L5 herniation) and neurological tests showed compression of the S1 nerve, with loss of sensation, strength and reflexes in left leg, Doctor finally realized 9 weeks of physio was not helping.

Now have 3-18 month wait to see a neurosurgeon, and am taking 900mg of gabopentin a day.

What I am most worried about is gradual onset of CES- I have bladder retention, feel cold and sometimes tingly in saddle area, but it is incomplete - no incontinence. Don't know whether to go back again to doctor.

• Posted

Sounds like what I went through in 2013, I had 4 disc dulges and lost the sensation in my leg and foot. Also lost some control of my bladder.

I had surgery in 2013 and was off work for 12 weeks. Everything was great for around 8 months then it's all come back, and still got 4 bulging discs and other problems to. In some way I wish I'd had the injections first.

I've looked into this a lot over the last 3 years and feel a lot of Consultants don't won't to operate as it can weaken the back and also the scar tissue can bulge out to. It's only if there's an risk to serious damage do they operate or fuse discs.

Also be careful of the medication as some can cause other issues to, and there's the risks of getting an addiction to them and needing more and more. Best thing I've done is to research things on discs and damaged nerves. Best of luck and hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does seem that many people have less than favourable results following surgery, and I'm sorry that you're still struggling. All the best.
    • Posted

No worries, I've learnt a lot from forums and it's good to know we are not alone.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.