Slow to No Natural Bowel Movements

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone. I am a 49 year old female and I have been having issues with bowel movements for as long as I can remember. Rarely do I go naturally, without some type of stimulant. When I do stop taking stimulants and supplements, I can go over a week without a bowel movement, and in most cases longer. My diet is normal, I am a meat eater, and I just wonder, where does this food go if it's not coming out. I have been constantly complaining to my doctors and their resolution is always medication. I just think it's very weird. Like I do not have side effects from not going, like my belly is not distended, or I don't feel full or sick in anyway, it's just like what I eat just vanishes somewhere in my body and I find that very weird.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Interesting. Have you considered a colonography scan? (Not colonoscopy.) I've just had one and it shows all sorts of organs including your bowel of course. It's painless and quick. I'm not suggesting it will show the problem but even for peace of mind could make it worthwhile. Mine was a follow up from major bowel surgery 10 years ago and was very reassuring. Just a thought.

• Posted

hi I’m the same as you buti do suffer from bloatingetc eventually I’ve had colonoscopy and was toldi have an extremely tortuous bowel. i use medication but am confused as to whetheri should be high or low fibre given that the water struggles to move round all the bends

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.