Sneezing after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Over the past 3 weeks I've had 2 spontaneous collapses. The first time I had a chest tube in until the lung inflated again. Doctor said I was good to go so we left. 4 days after I had another collapse, which they said they were going to do surgery to hopefully get rid of the spontaneous pneumothoraxes. They talced my lung to my chest wall and removed part of the lung that had blebs on it. Its been 1 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I feel just like I did before this all started. Only thing bothering me is that my sneezes feel weird. It feels like my lung is hitting the back of my ribcage, almost like it's expanding to much, but maybe it's normal. I have occasional pain but other than that I live life normally. So I guess all I want to know is if it is normal for sneezing to feel weird after this lung surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Completely normal! I had an 80% collapse that needed three chest tubes and eventually a pleurodesis to remove blebs and attach to wall, and I actually remember saying to my husband I wonder when I'lll sneeze normally again. It was a generous four weeks before I did. I had the same sensation, like my lung was going to burst or something, like it was expanding too big. Anyway, don't be alarmed it will take time but sneezing will go back to usual. In the mean time good luck with your recovery!
    • Posted

I think I've sneezed a total of 3 times and so far hating it! Thank you! So far so good. Also, is it possible to sneeze and my lung collapse again? Or is that just sone irrational fear of mine?
    • Posted

That was my fear too. Just because of the feeling it gave me. As far as I know, my doc said no it's just an irrational fear but if you're at all worried it never hurts to get an x-ray. It is a major trauma to your body and after about 15 months now since my surgery I still have pain from time to time. Take every day in stride and you'll have that triumphant painless sneeze in no time!
  • Posted

This is normal! I had VATS surgery almost two months ago. I am healing very slowly. i.e. If I did something that my body is not used to, I feel soar the next day and may have some breathing problem. However, this has improved over the weeks and now I almost have no breathing problem and soarness sometimes. I also have this feeling inside my chest that there is water dripping. It's a weird feeling. I went to the emergency room several times after my surgery because I felt chest pains and shortness of breath. The x-rays didnt show any problems. You really have to give yourself a chance to heal.  I know its not normal but I don't leave my house. This is my first time admitted in the hospital and after reading horror stories online I want to dedicate myself to rest. I went for a very slow walk outside for 15 minutes the other way. I had very minor aches and the dripping feeling for a few days. I am better now. Anyway, these are some things you might watch out for. It's funny but I thought I would die. I haven't died yet but I have put on weight from eating too many carbs and no exercise. Take care.
    • Posted

Hey, 

I also had Vats surgery and afterwards had the dripping sensation in my chest. How long did it take for it to go away for you? 

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.