Sodium borderline

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

Has anyone's sodium levels been right on border line ie 134 is the beginning of a normal range and mine is normally 136 but it fell to 134 on my Kidney function bloods last week, should I be concerned?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same level before on my test and the next time I got blood work, it was higher again, but it is something you want to keep your eye on. Drinking too much water before your blood test or even too much daily, can cause lower sodium levels. Also, what was the reason for your blood work to begin with? If you were sick with vomiting or diarrhea, this could mess up your electrolytes. Malnutrition is a common cause too. Drinking less water will help raise your sodium level and also drinking spring water, not purified water, will help raise it too.You should have it checked again in about 4 weeks to make sure it is not going lower. Oh.. also, I'm not sure of your age, but if you are older, it is actually more common for the elderly to have low sodium levels and even SSRI (anti-depressant) treatment can cause low sodium in the elderly.

• Posted

thanks for your reply

i have bloods done every 6 months as im on blood thinners I hardly drink water to be honest so its strange IM 38 and on ssri but for years now

i do drink alcohol regularly so wondering if thats whats causing it ill do another test in JAN

I have anxiety and read it can be a sign of cancer also!!

• Posted

Alcohol use can certainly cause low blood sodium. It's known as "beer potomania". My brother has this; his sodium levels always run between 115 and 120. Apparently his doctor is not concerned, as that is considered his "baseline". He drinks beer daily and has for years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.