Sodium intake the cause of my symptoms ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Around 2 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I changed my diet to try and combat this opting for low carb.

Not long after changing to low carb my levels were reported to be back in the normal range.. however just prior to the second check-up I had began to notice some physical symptoms popping up.

Mainly massive bloating all over, ankles becoming discoloured slightly bruised looking around the actual ankle and spider veins around the same area... and also spider veins on my face.

This seemed strange as I was controlling my diabetes yet all this was going on.

I've never been one for adding salt to my food only taking in what was on my food... I noticed that my low carb meats were packed with sodium esp sausages and the likes and also with being low carb I was also low veg and fruit... so would possibly be low potassium or other minerals.

Does this sound like sodium sensitivity ?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

You mention diabetes, have you actually had your pancreas, liver and gallbladder checked? Was the diabetes attributed to your weight and diet habits?

Spider veins can be a symptom of a struggling liver or a pancreas issue, but not always. When was your last bloods? Does your doctor actually know about these veins? No idea about the sodium, but you need those veins investigated. I think >6 spider veins warrants investigation, especially coupled with bloating. Probably absolutely nothing, but better to get checked than not. Strange question, but how are your poos? Do they float/greasy/sticky, are they a light colour or normal? Have you still got your regular bowel movements?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.