Solution to seborrheic dermatitis + dry hair?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed just recently with seborrheic dermatitis, though I've been dealing with it ever since I was a kid. I'm 18 right now. To be honest it has not yet made me feel embarrassed or anything, so I'm not really stressed about it, it turns annoying once in a while only. The thing is I'm sporting long hair. After researching on my condition and actually going to the dermatologist, I'm aware I should wash my hair daily and use anti-dandruff shampoos (since the seborrheic dermatitis is chronic and can't be cured, only treated). At the same time, I was also recommended in the past to skip washes (hair), like wash one day, skip the next, wash again, and so on. This is because I have extremely oily roots, so the doctor said that washing too much stimulates additional sebum production, he said the sebum was not reaching my full length (hence the dry hair). I've already been skipping washes for two weeks, and my hair does feel better. But now the seborrheic dermatitis is really bad when I don't wash, I'm having abundance in scale and flakes, as well as rashes. Any woman out there (since you probably understand me better when talking about the hair) who faces the same issue? Any tips from you? Of course, by all means guys who also have a long hair and share the issue please comment.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, My husband has seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis and like you he has struggled with it. I don't know if you have been diagnosed with both but I  would be willing to bet you have both, as they are so similar and tend to occur together.

My husband has short hair now but still has a beardas he cannot be clean shaven as his skin flares up angrily.

I personally think you need to wash your hair everyday especially as it is long. It's a tough call because 'yes',washing stimulates additional sebum production but and it's a big but....due to the rapid oil and skin cell production your hair needs washing everyday.

Like you say there is no cure but it can be managed well.

I would buy 'Selsun shampoo' and 'Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo' and alternate. My husband found if he used a tiny (I mean tiny) amount of these as a face wash they helped too.

After washing hair I would apply some conditioner (a small amount) on just the ends of your hair and comb through (just the ends) with wide tooth comb and rinse out.

Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I've had this since a kid scalp and ears,the ears seemed to go,(don't know why) but scalp stayed quite bad. Then past few years I developed  rhinitis and now got it bad on and in both ears again What I know use is T Gel and it's helped no end.i wash hair and leave the T gel on scalp and behind my ears for as long as I can.Such an improvement. it's never been itchy in all years I've had this problem thank goodness.

Tried Selsun Etc last thing was a Hydrocortisone for my ears big mistake gave me terrible earache had to stop it and it made my ear lobes swollen. So will keep to TGel.

It's down to herieditary gene which is mine, as father and sister were lifetime Asthmatics.Hope you get the right thing for you?

• Posted

Okay!  So I'm excited to share with you I personally found a solution for seborrheic dermatitis.  I have had this problem since I was a young teen and now I'm 31yr.  Over time it has become increasingly problematic... especially because I too have long hair and products that are for this type of problem are very harsh on you hair!  So my solution, MooGoo.  They sell all sorts of creams, lotions, and such online.  They have kind of a "set" that works for seborrheic dermatitis.  There is a milk shampoo, conditioner, and scalp cream.  Being young I will say the products are a bit pricey, especially shipping since it is made in Austrilia.  BUT this is the only product that has taken care of my problem 100%.  I can't gaurantee it will do the same for you of course, but I will say it is the only product that I have found to actually work (and it doesn't kill your hair).  I hope this helps! :D
  • Posted

I'm in the US, but I'm sure the UK has T-gel as well. I have SD really bad, and have found a way to keep it under control. Use T-gel twice a quick wash, rinse, then again. Let it sit on your scalp at least 5 minutes. I keep it on the duration of my shower while I shave, wash etc. Afterwards rinse, and condition your hair starting midway going to the ends. DO NOT PUT CONDITIONER ON YOUR SCALP! Wash your hair 5-7 days a week. Conditioner clogs the pores in your scalp, and aggravate SD. You should notice results almost instantly. T-gel, can be strong scented, but it's not so bad after hair has dried. Add a spritz of perfume after it's dried, and you'll be fine. I know SD is miserable, so try this, and good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.