Son with Osteomyelitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

My 10 year old son was treated for osteomyelitis in April (hip) - he had surgery to remove the infection and was on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. We just learned today that he now has it in his knee and is undergoing surgery in the morning. My heart is just.broken - does anyone know of a doctor in the US that specializes in recurrent osteomyelitis? Also, has anyone had experience where osteomyelitis was misdiagnosed and I may be dealing with a larger underlying issue?

Appreciate any advice.. thank you for your time!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

First of all can i say that i am so very sorry that your son is having to go through all of this that is happening to him. And also to you and your family. I know what it is like from both perspectives.

Ostio is a horrible thing to have and how it becomes what it is. It lies dormant in everyone, and most go through life never having any issue and not knowing anything about it. And for a small amount of ppl it develops. Mainly due to a physical trauma to the body, or even a mental one. Thats all it takes and what it does is travel to a weak area it detects in the body and starts to eat bone marrow at that point. Its extremely painful and could be mis diagnosed if a doctor has not come across it. It needs, like you say, a massive blast of medication, and in some cases an operation.  I don’t know if your son has had any type of bone scans or cell scans, as you do not say. But i would be asking for these as it can be seen if given a small amount of radioactive medicine via injection. Weak areas can be seen and other things detected so a plan of action can be put in place.

Im my experience it can easily go un detected or mis diagnosed because nothing physical could be seen to the eye, but inside it was devastation. All i say is the earlier it is treated the better the outcome for your son as he grows up. 

I hope this is ov help to you.

You take care x

• Posted

HELLO JANIS60279 I am sorry your son is having trouble with his osteomyelitis and I am not sure if this will help you but I found this Dr in ft worth tx who though I've never been to him I go in the morning for my first visit. I have osteomyelitis in my pelvis. I have been to various types of doctors but this guy seems promising. Dr Gerhard E. Maple, M.D. 214.691.1123 Fax 214.6991.1123 Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.