Sore Hands From Crutches

Posted , 8 users are following.

Did / does anyone else find that their hands hurt from using the crutches. I have started to get some blisters on my hands. Anyone got any suggestions / tips. Thanks in advance for you help.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ditch them and get a knee scooter lol.

Knee Scooter and Walker is all you need. Not a Zimmerframe . All Terrain Walker.

Put padding on with polar fleece and duct tape.

• Posted

I was thinkingthat its probably because I am not used to using them. Am hoping that it ets better and easier.

• Posted

I'm going to try to get some form of padding today and see if I can sort them out.

• Posted

My brother used to use the hand free crutch when he had a knee surgery. He feel more comfortable with it and it gave him free hand. So I think it also help you. Hope it's helpful!

• Posted

Hi Luke, 

Try wearing fingerless cycling gloves with the padded palms. Either that or you can get crutches with a contoured handle which distributes your weight more evenly across your palm. Last resort is you can get pads on Amazon to cushion the weight. I know how you feel, I've been on them now for 7 months! My physio originally gave me the same as you, but I already had a contoured pair from an earlier procedure, so I gave them back!

Gym/cycling gloves also help if you get sweaty palms, like me! Especially in this hot weather!

I hope I have been of some help...... Andy ??

• Posted

Thanks Andy. I was thinking about cycling gloves. Need to get something to sort it out. Yeah I get sweaty palms too and the weather is not helping.
    • Posted

Try Sports Direct or eBay for the gloves and Amazon for the handle padding. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

I agree with Luke and Tituscanby. They both gave you great advice that you should carry most the weight in your hands vs. under the arms, and to use bike gloves. Thick gel ones are the best I found. It hurt me so badly when I started using crutches, that I switched to the knee scooter, which as Tituscanby said was the best decision ever for us. I needed the crutches for the WB stage however. The good news is that when you use the crutches when you start PWB, you won't put as much pressure on your hands, so it doesn't hurt so badly, because you are putting some pressure on your foot at that point too. I read somewhere that someone said they had permanent nerve damage in their hands from using the crutches too much, so be careful if you are going to stay with crutches. I will send you a private link showing some gel hand and under arm pads I liked. 

• Posted

Sorry...that should have gone to Luke. I meant to say I agree with Andy and Tituscanby. 
    • Posted

Also, if you can afford it, if you get a knee scooter, a basket and cup holder really comes in handy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.