Sore Throat with Dysphagia for 3 Months

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

In February I started to notice some difficulty swallowing as well as some other worrying symptoms like weight loss. The difficulty swallowing is especially bad for dry foods like bread or chicken. Drinks are okay, saliva is very annoying though. I haven't choked yet but the best way I can describe it is that foods sticks sometimes and I need to swallow a few times to get it down. The area this is happening I guess would be around the Larynx/Hypopharanx area.

In March I seen an ENT Consultant and I explained I was pretty worried about this so he did an Indirect Laryngoscopy and said everything appeared normal so he referred me for a Barium Swallow in April which again was reported as normal. At the start of May I had an Endoscopy (through the mouth) and again, everything was reported as normal with the exception of a Hiatal Hernia and mild Oesophagitis.

I have been prescribed PPIs (different to Omeprazole as I had already taken a 6 week course which did nothing) I guess they are suspecting LPR as I have had some acid erosion issues with my teeth in the past.

Since then, the swallowing difficulties have remained about the same but I am also starting to develop a recurrent sore throat as well as what I can only describe as my ears feeling like they are blocked when I lay down at night, they return to normal when I get up and move around.

Just going to be up front and honest, if this was something like Cancer would they have missed it between the Indirect Laryngoscopy, Endoscopy and Barium Swallow?

Would appreciate any advice someone can give.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Suffering the same and due to see ENT.

Started right after Covid where I had the worst sore throat, crazy coughing and sleep apnea hammers my throat too. Feels like an ulcer almost like a paper cut at times.

I'm expecting it's just esophagitis too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.