Spinal Cord Stimulator

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Long story short I had an accident in 2016 that left me with 2 bulging discs. I have had an L5-S1 Discectomy but i now have a lot of scar tissue surrounding my spinal cord.

I am being considered for a Spinal Cord Stimulator and I have the assessment on 14th Nov, i just wondered if there was anyone on here that has gone down this route and how did it go?

Thanks

Emma

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Emma i am in a similar situation i have 3 level severe disc degeneration at 42 years old in march 2019 i had the same operation at L4/L5 that has left allot of scarring to my nerve right leg i get constant pain sitting standing and lying down not always severe sometimes just from the knee down or in my groin and thigh. There is no option for a fusion as 3 discs are damaged and it would effect the rest of my spine with that operation usually if you are 60 and over. My next options are facet joint injections or a stimulator now i have spoke to a construction worker who has had the recent model stimulator and he said it has changed his life if he gets pain he just presses a button and its gone so i think its a great way to go to move forward with your pain managenent good luck moving forward

• Posted

Hi, question reg. pain. Is your leg pain every time you sit/stand or do you have more pain some days, then less pain others? I'm on month 11 post-op and had been recovering well sporadically. I seem to have severe pain episodes about every 7 to 10 days in my lower legs and feet. Can't get any info out of docs if this has occurred before or ?? Had large T9-T10 ruptured disc, causing incomplete spinal cord injury=cauda equina, surgery= spinal decompression T5 to L4, micro-discectomy T9-10 (lots of adhesions from 2 prev surg as well as severe spinal degen disc dis & scoliosis) I did NOT have pain or other symptoms before this last surgery. I've been progressing, still not quite able to walk, but have control of basic body functions(thank God). I just can't seem to get passed the episodic pain periods. My hope was the pain was due to nerve growth, as the 1 comment I could get out of therapists/docs was that the 1st sensation usually felt by new nerves was pain. As I seem to have some incr function after pain, I keep hoping. I would be so thankful for any info you could share. My gut feeling is that because the total # of pts with this is so lo, they just can't come up with an answer. (If I hear 'everyone is so individual ' again, I'll scream. ) I'm 74, and until this happened, did NOT consider myself ELDERLY or SENIOR. Age is just a number. Besides, fusing with or without hardware, can cause more damage & grief, no matter what the age. I know, I was an operating rm nurse for 25+ yrs. Thanks for listening.

• Posted

Hi Steven, thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation to me. Likewise, my pain is permanent but varying in intensity. Usually it is manageable but sometimes it is quite the opposite. I am pleased to say i was accepted for the spinal cord stimulator so hopefully within a year i will have this providing i have a successful trial period with it. I must admit, it sounds incredible and I am very much hoping it works for me, I am 28 and this is my last chance of getting some kind of life back.

Thanks, Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.