spleen and tonsils regrew after both removed in childhood

Posted , 5 users are following.

I recently had an MRI for an unrelated matter when there was comment about a substantial scar and question about abdominal surgery. I said I had had a bad horse riding accident at 9 and had a splenectomy - common practice for a ruptured spleen in 1961, just scoop it all out.   It apparently regrew and is a normal healthy spleen.  Also I had my tonsils out at 5 (standard procedure in the 50's) and found in my 20's that they had regrown.  My mother, now 88, had her tonsils out as a child and they regrew as well.  I am curious to know how frequently this occurs in the population,  I have only known of my mother and myself to regrow tonsils and was surprised, and rather pleased, my spleen made a complete reappearance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get out !!!! Seriously ... wow... wish mine woukd grow back ..😩

What did docs say about spleen regrowing ... how why ??

• Posted

GP was a bit perplexed.  The spleen, which was definitely removed,  is now is normal and healthy, as are my tonsils.  I would be interested to know if this has happened to others.
  • Posted

Hi minnkI

I too had my spleen removed along with the small bowel due to a road accident when I was 8 around the same time as you. I've just got back from the docs to find out that an ultra sound i had revealed I still had a spleen.....the doc was as confused as me. ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.