Splitting Prednisone dose

Posted , 14 users are following.

Has anyone ever split their daily Prednisone dose?  

Upon the suggestion of my GP I have done this.  Taking 14 in the morning and 5 in the evening.  I'm thinking I did better with all of it together.  Is there a way to get back to what I was originally doing?

Audrey

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Audrey, as Oregonjohn says some do split, although it is more normal to take it in one go. I should just take the whole lot in the morning as I assume you did before and see if that works better. Why did your GP suggest you split your dose?
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.  I meant splitting the dose, not the pill.

like 14 mg in morning after breakfast and the remaining 5 mg in the evening after dinner.  

Audrey

• Posted

I meant splitting the dose too. If you take the 19mg in the morning and see if that works for you.
  • Posted

Hello audrey.just a short post if you were A/OK taking it in one dose pref early in morning, I would stick with that,go with what your body is telling you.just start a fresh tomorrow. Best Wishes for your journey. Just to add the Drs are not all ways right on this strange journey. Dave 
    • Posted

Thanks David,

i went back to taking it at about 5:00 in the morning and I have this weird lightheaded feeling until about lunchtime.  Probably if I took it at 2:00 am

it would be best but I can't wake up enough to eat at 2:00 in the morning-it's sort of like walking in my sleep.  

Yes it is a strange journey

Audrey

• Posted

Hi audrey.I used to take mine about 5ish with yogurt+ fruit then go back to bed for a hour or two, but it has been said many many times we all have a differant journy. Best Wishes & Stay Strong & Well.Dave
  • Posted

I split my dose because the higher doses cause me to have a really

weird dizzy spell.....almost like the earth tilts on me.  I'm taking

a total of l4 right now and I take l0 in the a.m. and 4 at p.m. dose.

Keeps the dizzy business away......my doc says its okay.

• Posted

She suggested splitting the dose because I suddenly became lightheaded but after I started drinking more water that passed as did the headaches.
    • Posted

I have always had to split my dose, otherwise I get very blurred vision and balance problems...this works for me (or rather it`s tolerable) I am still doing it, and I`m on 11.5mg.....I take the bigger dose am.
  • Posted

I can find no real studies on this though most doctors suggest the early morning dose because this is when the body's natural cortisol is released. I prefer a divided dose.
    • Posted

My current pred tablets, which are quite new, say to take at 10pm in the evening on the packet. Although when I took the coated pred I used to take them early in the morning as one dose. 
    • Posted

Did Eileen once mention to take it at 2 AM?  I could be wrong.

i could take it as early as 4:30 taking the acid pill at 3:30 which would be worth the the inconvenience if it made a positive difference in the way I feel.

• Posted

I have been taking my Prednisolone at 4.30am for about six months now. I am doing the slow reduction, down to 12mg, just about to start reducing slowly to 11 next week. I take it with a yogurt drink. I find it has started to work by the time I get up. When I took it with my breakfast I found half the morning had gone by before I felt any relief.
    • Posted

Yes, Eileen reckons 2am is a particularly good time to take it. I must admit I used to take mine later, I wanted my sleep! If you feel up to taking tablets at 3.30am and 4.30am why not give it a try and see if there is an improvement. Nowadays in my case with the new tablets being able to take the pred at 10pm is really easy. 
    • Posted

Are you referring to the uncoated? That's what I take.  Since I won't be too awake I'll try taking them with half a banana at 4:30.  And on Tuesday I'll go down to 18 mg. Do I have to move downward really slowly when taking above 15 mg because Rhumy said to come down 1 mg a week til I get to 15.

indont want to have another problem.  Was down to 10 twice previously.

• Posted

I took the coated pred which is supposed to not upset your stomach, as the tablets get down to the gut before they are absorbed by the body. The uncoated ones are just absorbed more quickly in the stomach once you have taken them. Try 18mg on Tuesday plus the banana and see how it goes. If you feel OK you can carry on as suggested with a cut of 1mg, otherwise hang on for a little longer until you are happy with how you feel. Some people can go faster than others and with larger cuts. I am one of the sensitive flowers! Below 12.5mg I reduced by .5mg a month after some bad flare ups. Above 15mg I was told to reduce 5mg from 20mg to 15mg which was disastrous. I was able to reduce by 2.5mg from 20mg in the end, but I wish I had done 1mg like you are planning. 
    • Posted

Are you on Lodotra by any chance?

• Posted

I started off on coated pred to start with before transferring to Lodotra. Lodotra gave 1mg tablets too. 
    • Posted

They are specifically designed to be taken at night, the run-of-the-mill standard tabs are not. With the standard tabs it does depend on how quickly each individual metabolises them.

On high doses, I get euphoric and start swinging from the lampshade, even taking them very early in the morning I do find sleeping difficult at night.   If I took them at night I'd be up on the roof!

If anyone finds that they are very stiff and painful in the mornings, it is probably worth trying to split the dose and take some before bedtime to minimise the pain/stiffness in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.