Spondylolistheses grade 2 with bilateral exit foraminal stenosis L5/S1

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am new to the forums and I'm very confused after recent events in my life.

I am a 40yr old gent and before my car accident I lived a perfect healthy an very active work and social life.

I was involved in a very nasty accident (passenger) of a car that rolled over multiple times at over 115mph was told very lucky to be alive by paramedics.

Since my accident I have been diagnosed as having

Spondylolistheses grade 2 with bilateral exit foraminal stenosis L5/S1

I have been struggling with very aggressive an excruciating pain in my lower back and left leg, continued pins/needles all down my leg and numbness. I have had an epidural in my spine for pain relief which didn't work I am taking several different types of medication and I can still only walk a short few steps on crutches before my pain is too much. My confusion is I recently had a consultation at prh orthopaedic department during which we spoke about a spinal fusion and nerve decompression operation which I was explained was not a cure but would maybe help me.

Why I was there I requested if I could maybe use a wheelchair for getting out house more (I can't leave house at the moment due to my pain) and was told to see my gp about which I presumed tobe normal procedure.

Well I have received today a copy of the ditated notes and there is a paragraph init that reads as follows,

He (me) does not really come across as a candidate for a spinal fusion and decompression. The pain is related to accident and there are various medico-legal issues. At the moment he is requesting a wheelchair. There are a lot of yellow flags around at the moment.

I'm contacting the pain clinic and see if they can see him sooner. After treatment we may consider referral to Oswestry for spinal fusion.

I have already been seen by pain clinic and received the treatment and it was a fail I am now awaiting a follow up appointment with my consultant which I am going to confront him about the report I got. Hope I not confused anyone I'm just after help with my situation.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Surgeons will only do the surgery as a last resort. However, Id find it kind of insulting to be referred to like this in any medical correspondence.

You seem, from what you say, to be an ideal candidate for spinal fusion/decompression surgery.

I'd maybe see another surgeon and get a second opinion.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi scott,

Thank you for your response the more and more I read the report the more I want to complain about what is says and if I'm honest I feel like he is kinda accusing me in some way and it is getting to me. I have made a claim against the driver of the vehicle but that is because my career as a mechanic ended the day of my accident and I feel he should pay for what he as done to me. I don't think I am wrong in the way I am thinking, it just shocked me with the wording he as used if I could go back to work I'd be there tomorrow I have worked all my life and now due to my injuries I am not able to but he has definitely made me feel uncomfortable in his ability to look after me. Or am I over thinking?

• Posted

I don't think you are. It reads like he's saying you are a fraud and only in this to get a payout.

Some surgeons simply don't believe you can be in so much pain from what they see on a scan. Fortunately I have a superb one who understood exactly what was going on with me, hence my double ALIF surgery two weeks ago.

You need to feel comfortable with who is treating you.

• Posted

Thats exactly how is has made me feel and it is wrong of him to do that, I live on multiple pills every day an night just to cope with the pain, my relationship is breaking down due to how much my partner has to help me do normal day2day things I'm absolutely gutted that the consultant who is ment to be the best is looking down on me an dealing with me an my condition the way he is. I don't know how to get another consultant involved or how to deal with the one I have. I feel like he is belittling me and it's not fare, I sound like I'm a child in the way I'm writing but I don't know how to express the way I feel. And I'm glad you have had your treatment when will you know if it's been successful? (Hope u don't mind me asking)
    • Posted

My back pain has pretty much gone, as long as I don't move the way I've not too for a number of weeks. It'll begin to fuse from weeks 4-6 and should be solid by 7-8 months. Full fused from 18-24. I have other issues with discs and nerve damage but I can cope with this if the back pain goes. I was on MST, Dihydracodiene, Amitriptyline, carbamazepine, diazepam, diclofenac, paracetamol and some others. It's not fun taking all those meds so I know how you feel.

The pills turn you into someone you are not which affects everything around you.

Stay strong and you'll get the results you want with being a pushy sod and don't take no for an answer!

• Posted

That's great news then and I know you will do everything by the book to help yourself heal an b as strong as can be smile maybe I shud see your consultant he seems to be willing to help more than mine. All I want is for no pain and ur right about the pills they make u feel like a zombie and I bet you are glad to be leaving them behind. I am praying for my operation to get the go ahead and maybe you are rite and I shud start being pushy. Can I ask how long your procedure took and how long u were in hospital for?
    • Posted

I was under for 5.5 hours. In through the front left of my stomach. 6 inch scar. I was in hospital for 4 days but walking the day of my op.

My surgeon did the front approach as I have already had 2 surgeries on my spine in from the back.

Depending on how your surgeon see it and is capable will determine how he forms the op.

• Posted

That isn't long at all then I didn't even know they cud do it from the front and I have never been operated on before so it's very new to me I'v read up on a lot on my diagnosis but I'v not come across front entry as yet that's gotta be better than rear entry?
    • Posted

It stops the surgeon having to cut away the muscle and tendons/Ligament from your spine and possibly damaging more nerves.

Look up ALIF.

• Posted

You need to hire an attorney to review this. Let him see medical notes. Sometimes doctors do not want to get into the middle of an as accident case but it does not give them the right to alter the report....

I hope you can get the help that you need. Get a second and even a third opinion. I only got one opinion and my doctor only corrected half of my back problem. I am always in pain now. What a wasted of time and recovery for me..

• Posted

Can imagine how you feel diclofenac, amytriptoline the latter I thought were not being given any more. There have been medical papers saying paracamol doesn't help pain. I take pazital which is 38% tramadol the rest paracetamol and lyrics. They say lyrics, gabapentin and pregabalin are the same make-up but they act differently.

Anyway thought i would just say. Does your stomach tolerate all the meds?

• Posted

Never had any issues over 10 years of taking them. Surgeon and my GP has said one of the best combo painkillers is Dihydracodiene with paracetamol. I feel a difference when I don't take diclofenac. The Amitriptyline keeps most of my nerve pain under control.

It's whatever suits you and you can tolerate and manage.

• Posted

Hi ginge944

Firstly sorry to hear about your accident and the troubles you are having.

I am shocked that any DR / Surgeon would write this in a letter, especially as you are C/c in to the reply. I think the best option you have is to complain about the accusations that are written in the letter and also I think you need to seek a second opinion ASAP. How where you diagnosed in the first place was this via a MRI scan?? If so you can pay ( in uk ) to have a copy of the images sent to your new surgeon or in some cases the surgeon can request these direct.

Whatever trust / relationship you had with this surgeon, I imagine that this has been broken and isn't really going to aid your recovery.

I injured my spine in 2010, ( 31yrs old ) the first surgeon I was refered to, didn't believe I was in pain, and said I had a conversion disorder, I was sent to see psychiatrists, but also sent me for spinal injections, physio and gave me a large amount of medication. I went along with what they said as I didn't feel best placed to argue at the time. After being made out to be a telling lies this really took its toll on me and I became down aand very withdrawn. After a number of years of struggling on. Eventually I had a second opinion, my new surgeon was great, he got my old scans and sent me for a new scan, the scans in 2010 showed a annular tare, and prolapsed discs, L4/L5 and S1, he also confirmed that due to the amount of time the spinal cord had been compressed I had severe nerve damage. I was offered a spinal fusion and discectomy, after a 8+ hr operation, 90% of my pain in legs had gone but my back was sore and bruised but I had been cut in 3 scars all about 30 cm long, so knew it would need time to heal. I spent 3 days in hospital and was home.

I was on for the first 4-6 weeks, but sadly my pain started coming back, my surgeon gave me a open appointment so went to see him within days of the pain returning. After a scan the surgeon confirmed that my discs have prolapsed again and that the fusion didn't work, he blamed this on long term damage from it not being sorted in 2010. I am now on a waiting list to have a Spinal cord stimulator fitted in the major pain centre in London, and they hope that my leg pain will go, and some of back. 60% chance is better than being doped up to eyeballs and being a zombie around my family and 3 and 6 yr old.

Sorry for long story, and it does sound like a fusion could work for you. Push for what you need and don't let idiot people make you feel as if your not playing by the book and in it for $$$$. Scans don't lie.!!

All the best on your recovery and keep us updated.

George ( 37 UK)

• Posted

The diagnosis I have been given is from a mri scan done in October 2015 and I am trying to find out how I get a second opinion and also what route to take with the complaint I still can't believe what he has put tbh sad I think I need to start pushing but I'm unsure in which direction to push.
    • Posted

From what they have written is making you out to be a fraud, if you go down a legal route with your surgeon this will then make it hard to get anything from them.

If you have legal advice from the car accident I would send them a copy of the letter and ask there advice, but they may refer you on to a different legal adviser so check you don't get charged.

You said you have a appointment with the surgeon, I would also take the letter and ask why he has written what he has but do it in q non confrontational way but take someone with you.

• Posted

I was thinking the same about talking to him about the letter on my next appointment. The way I am thinking at moment is if I cud manage it I would poke him in the eye tbh he has been very ignorant to me telling him about my pain issues. I was referred to him from my physiotherapist because I was unable to carry out movements required.

I have also been thinking about when I first got taken to a+e after the accident I was on a spinal board and my X-Ray's showed damage to my spine. I can not find anything in my medical file that would make him think I'm being a fraud? I just seem to get shrugged off by him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.