Spontaneous Pneumothorax and flying! Please help

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All, I had a spontaneous tension pneumothorax about 7 months ago - two in fact, one after the other. I've been invited to a wedding in Australia so flights from the UK to Aus are generally 25 hours in duration, with approx 2 to 3 stop overs.

I didnt have the surgery as the doctor said if it were to happen again you would need to have surgery, so took to risk to go on with life without it, knowing i May need it again.

Recently I'm having weird sensations in the chest area and some bouts of breathlessness which lasts 1-2 minutes. I'm concerned whether to fly out or not? Please advise.

Doing some reasearch online says that cabin pressure on a plane is adjusted but the issues is the pressure during ascent, which can cause gasses (including those in blebs which are found on the lung) to expand by 30-40%. THe flight that I am taking has 3 stop overs....with flights duratnios being 8-9 hours each. Any experience or advice here on what to do please?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.