spotaneous pneumothorax, my top right abdominal muscle is completely missing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

All,

I have right spotaneous pneumothorax 2 months ago and i got surgery water seal drainage (tube insertion)  on my chest, after 3 weeks on the hospital my lung back to normal and doctor send me home, but after 2 months i just noticed that my top  right abdominal muscle is completely missing and sometimes i feel a liitle pain on that area, i wanna ask, that anybody have similar case like me ?  is that will be back normal again ? 

Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I have had surgery on both lungs, this year it was my right lung. For weeks I had a pain near what I believe was the top of the abdomen. I don't really know what it was or why. In Nov. I learned a portion of my lung was collapsed again, but with rest it healed. Then I went through the mystery noise that some on here talk about, the word noise and bubbling discomfort. I'm happy to say that now that is gone and at the moment, like 7 months after surgery, all seems to be back to as normal as it can be. 

• Posted

Tube insertion causes peripheral nerve damage, so what you're suffering is normal. And it will come back, have patience.

Although I had spontaneous pneumothorax in right long as you, my case was very stubborn, in 18 days in hospital I had SIX tube insertion, chemical pleurodesis (glucose), and two thoracotomy surgeries (from same location).

As a result, it caused some serious nerve damage (severe nerve pains and numbness from right abdomen to top of chest, and almost nonexistent muscles in addition to a bulge of the top right abdomen)

The good news is that, NINE MONTHS now after these brutal surgeries and tubes, it started to appear now, and the bulge is almost gone, the muscles are still weaker though, but it's alright.

Few months ago, the Dr. prescribed me Lyrica for the pain and vitamin B (B1, B6, B12) injection every other day to help for nerve recovery. And they helped immensely.

• Posted

Hi thank you for sharing the information 
    • Posted

Hey,

I’m 20 years old and I had 2 spotaneous pneumothorax, the second time it happened I had to go under surgery, everything went well but I noticed a week out of the hospital my top right ab was missing and I had had pain in the area just like you. I was wondering if your ab came back yet? and did the pain go away?

• Posted

Hi there. The top right ab looks better now. It does not look much like a hole now, more like a little dent. And the pain is not as bad as before.
    • Posted

Ok thanks for the helpful insight. I hope you make a full recovery. 
  • Posted

I had the exact situation and my left upper is missing. this is the only thread I've found information about this. did it ever come back? I'm a month and a half in and it's still jacked up

• Posted

Hi Dave,

After 6 month it will come back healing slowly but your abdominal will be back to normal.

I hope you make a full recovery.

• Posted

hello, on a completely different medical note... I have never went through a pneumothorax however i went searching about missing abdomen and found this. I have a rare skin condition called morphea in which i have discolored patches of skin on my abdomen. These patches itch when they first form but stop after a point, but they never go away. Later in my life i discovered it can always eat away the muscle right below the patch... that happened to be my upper left abdomen. In your cases it seems to return however mine does not. I wanted to know if any of you exercised during your missing abdomen times and if it affected you in any way?

• Posted

Hi, I do not do special treatment. I just try to live healthier and eat healthy foods, have a rest and also do exercise. I was lucky my abdominal healed by itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.