Stabbing Pain Right thigh

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past two months I have been experiencing stabbing pain in right thigh.  Had MRI of spine since I had a spinal fusion L4L5 3years ago which didnt show anything. Had nerve study which came back non-remarkable. My doctors just say to be patient and want to treat me with Gabapentin. Tried the drug but didnt like how it made me feel.  I'm 68 years old and typicall a very active person. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thank you so much.

AllanS

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Allan, I suffer nerve pain and I take Gaberpentin, It Is the only drug that I have tried that works for the nerve pain.  Can I ask you how did Gaberpentin make you feel? 

Elizabeth 

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth. I felt lethargic, depressed and a bit queasy in my stomach.  My pain level is quite high but just didnt want to feel this way. When you first started the drug how did it make you feel.

Thanks for your reply. AllanS

• Posted

It does make me feel tired. I am prescribed 3 x 300mg but usually only take 2 a day as If I take 3 it can make me dizzy. 1 in the morning and 1 at night. The 1 at night is fine because i want to sleep, the 1 In the morning I take with food and this seems to help. I find this Is the only drug I have tried that takes the nerve pain away. It does not suit everybody. If you have only just starte It give It a couple of weeks as you may find the side effects lesen. All drugs have side effects to start with until the body gets used to them. 

• Posted

Hi,I'm 53 and been on gabapentin for 15 years and once you get past the sleepy,lethargic, moody etc stage your body accepts it and life just go's on,I'm on 2100mg gabapentin and 200 tramadol daily and when I need to increase gabapentin I have to go thru all the sh*t again,but with a good wife I get there,don't get me wrong I want to say no but in the end its worth it,I have my l4 and l5 plated and spinal stimulation surgery,I am able but don't work,my nerve pain is still bad but I can honestly say gabapentin saved my life,difference is you work,either way keep talking on here you will find someone simular or knows something or hey just to chat,enjoy your evening.
    • Posted

Hi Dave. Thank you so much for taking time out to reply to my message. Can you tell me how much gabapentin has reduced your pain level? Have you had any problem with reduced libido? AllanS
  • Posted

at first gabapentin made me feel high, but now I feel just like my old self, no high at all. I'm taking 1200mg a day (1 morning, one afternoon and 2 at night) and it's fine. it took a couple of months for my body to adjust but really took away my pain.
  • Posted

Hi i have been on it quite q while it is good for my pain as i had big op on my spine.I take 600mg 3 times a day works good on me and takes away my head pain as well.The only side effect i get is weight gain .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.