Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer no malignant biopsies

Posted , 2 users are following.

my mom has been told for 4 years now she has colon cancer everywhere. they have taken biopsies from down her esophagus, her lung, her colostomy and all have come back benign no evidence of malignancy. I don't understand how. please help I need answers

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi. My mum was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer last year. She was told the cancer had spread to her liver and lungs and that further treatment would not be curative so she decided against chemotherapy.

The secondary tumors in her liver and lungs were detected using a scan and radioactive marker. Cancerous tissue has a high metabolism, the marker accumulates in it and presents as highlights on the scan. However, it is possible that benign tumors and nodules also have a high metabolism and show up on the scan. There were several diffuse tumor sites and these were never biopsied. Frankly, I don't think my mum even wanted to know any more details. She just wanted to be done with hospital visits.

In the meantime she has gained some strength and learned to manage her stoma. She is still alive and does surprisingly well, given the circumstances.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.