Started as a migraine, now pressure headaches for 3 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

My name is Brandon and I am 23 years old. Recently i've had a number of stressful things happen, such as a new job change potential/promotion, and the soon arrival of my 2nd child. I suffer from anxiety pretty bad, and the job interviews and what not definitely triggered me along with scrambling and finding time to work on the nursery, etc. I have not been to a doctor for an official anxiety diagnosis but I know I suffer from it. I must add that I do physical work during the day for 8+ hours, and I am sitting at a desk for 6+ hours on the computer at home. 

This all started when I got home from work about 3 weeks ago, I came home and my daughter had the house looking a mess so I was scrambling around and cleaning with her. Once I sat down finally I noticed sort of an arc in my right eye and was not sure what it was so I rubbed my eyes for a bit and sat there. Then came the migraine which was on the left side of my head. I have never had a migraine before so this was surprising to me as I wasn't sure what it was at first. I went and grabbed an ice pack and laid down in bed for a couple hours to sleep it off. I woke up and my vision was pretty normal and the pain mostly gone. It might have been the next day, or a day after, I started feeling pressure in my head like a vice, with mild pain nothing crazy. I figured it would go away on its own so I ignored it. I am now on the 3rd week of this feeling, which the mild pain comes and goes through out the day. I don't feel any pain usually when I wake up, but it starts up through out the day randomly and ranges from the back of my head, to the sides, sometimes the crown just random. I sleep pretty messed up as well because when I wake up my neck and shoulders are tight, and my back sometimes as well. I have no real sensitivity to light, nausea, or loss of appetite. Any OTC painkillers I have tried havent really done much, the pain isnt terrible I just wanted to see how it would respond to it, so I deal with it. Also have some mild pain in what feels like my jaw near my temples but nothing crazy. Also the pain has never amplified it's stayed pretty constant for these 3 weeks in terms of intensity.

The pressure feeling and mild pain is more of a nuisance to me than anything but I am worried since this has been going on for 3 weeks now. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Time to see the doc, Bran.  Since you have never had a migraine before (is it in your family history?) you need to be checked out.  You have a lot on your plate and that could be part of it but anything that goes on for this long needs to be evaluated.  Good luck with the job and the new baby!
    • Posted

Hi KMRC

Thanks for your reply. My mother has migraines but not frequent, and my father was diagnosed with cluster headaches a few years ago. I will be scheduling a doctor's appointment soon. Thank you! It's hard to focus on the joys of having a newborn soon with the worry of what's going on with my head!

• Posted

Well, Bran, it's in your DNA so, with the propensity to have migraines and/or clusters, it doesn't surprised in the uptick of your stress could have triggered this.  You still need to be checked out.  If it is a migraine, my cure (after almost dying on triptophans) is 2 exedrin and either coffee or a soda.  Works 95% of the time with no side effects.  Hope you get this under control before the wee one comes screaming out!  Take care of yourself.  😎
    • Posted

Yeah i'm hoping it's just stress related. The minimal pain I have is more so at the crown and around my eyes now I think. I also wear glasses and my prescription is way out of date so that could be causing some of the headache but i'm not sure. I also quit caffeine about a month ago which could have some effect! Now you're making me want to try caffeine as a solution though lol. Thank you for your help and input I do appreciate it very much! You take care as well! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.