Starting citalopram 10 mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started my meds tuesday evening im now on day 3 of my citalopram (I cannot spell) 10mg.

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks for around 3 weeks now after some terrible personal problems. I suffered panic attacks and anxiety about 10 years ago while sittting my gcses. I got over them and now I have an amazing family and its started all over again.

Ive read so many things about this medication I would like some 'real' people opinions.

I have a mini attack just thinking about taking my meds my dr wants to see me every week and has given me diazapam just incase.

I am hoping that other peoples experiences can help me and hopefully my experiences can help others too.

Xx

2 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

• Posted

Hi Niketa

I am in the same position but instead of being on citAOL pram which l could not handley doctor has put me on a beta blocker for aniexty attacks and Diazapan at night one 2mg and it seems to be working for me it's sometimes hard but we talking and support you can get there just keep talking to people it helps souch and you will get there we all will good luck what ever you do keep going

Paul

• Posted

Thank you.

I am really anxious to take todays tablet im awake thinking about it already if I feel this bad it's only going to be worse later and I have work tomorrow too.

Thank you for your advice

Xx

• Posted

Hi Niketa

Deep breaths thinks of something good and enjoyable so there may be bad times but think of the good times your get there l promise this wil go the bad times get less abd the good get better have a good day at work talking is a great therapy

Paul

• Posted

Thank you

I am trying to think of how it will help me im not sure I can do this for a couple of weeks I already want to run this morning. Im trying to fight it but I know I can get over this I have before I have to my daughter needs me to be ok.

Thank you dor taking the time to support me I truly appreciate it xx

• Posted

Hey stick with the meds I have had anxiety on and off for 8 years but when I was having my 2 children I had to come off citlaopram but 5 weeks ago my anxiety returned and it was horrible, I have now been taking 20mg of propanadol twice a day and 20mg of cit and 2mg diaizipam when I need it which is normally in the morning as that's when my anxiety is at its worse, I can definitely feel the meds are starting to work I'm not jumping for joy but I have started to go out again and am able to function and learning to cope being on my own during the day

It is a tough journey ahead and citlaopram makes your anxiety heighten in the 1st couple of weeks but stick with them and don't be scared of taking them my friend who is a nurse once said to me if I had broken my leg I would take paracetamol to ease the pain so that's what I have to do with this too just take the tablets to get better and believe me you will but I understand how hard it is but this forum is fantastic for support

Chin up and we are here xx

• Posted

Thank you.

I have 1 child and am struggling to play with her or anything this morning.

To be quite honest I wished there was an easier way that I could get through this people I have spoken to have all different experiences with this med I really hope I can stick with it.

Thank you for your support x

• Posted

It will be rough but anytime you need to can't we are here in this, I couldn't have got through the last 5 weeks with out the chat here and the great support
    • Posted

I keep telling myself I need to do it and I wont die from it (I constantly feel like im dying in an attack). I dont really havr anyone to talk to. When I tell them how im feeling I feel like they are judging me or think im crazy.

Ive taken a diazepam already this morning just thinking about taking my tablet later.

Thank you.

I really hope I can be as strong as soo many people on here x

• Posted

Hi niketa

I found the first couple of weeks on this med quite difficult as I was unfortunate and got a lot of side effects. I hope you are fortunate and don't get any. (Lots of people dont) citalopram has a good success rate and you should get relief from your symptoms in a few weeks. I found taking Diazepam helped me a lot in the initial stages of adjusting to citalopram. I too was scared of taking the med but i knew i had to do it if i wanted to get better.

We are all here for you and you will always get an answer to any concerns you have.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Posted

Lorraine how long have you been on cit and when did you feel the full effects

I had a good week last week but this week isn't great

• Posted

Hi Sparkly

I have been on citalopram for just over five months. I know this drug works wonders for other people, but unfortunately it hasn't worked too well for me. In saying that it eased my depression but left me feeling exhausted all the time. My appetite hasn't improved and I've consistently lost weight. I am now tapering off citalopram and going onto mirtazipine. But please don't let my tale of woe put you off as citalopram has a high success rate. How far along are you now?

Lorraine x

• Posted

I've been taking it for 5 weeks and I'm worried this is as good as it gets
    • Posted

Hi sparkly

what dose are you on? I would give it a few more weeks or check with gp about reviewing the dosage. My gp said if three months pass and you only have limited relief then it's time to switch. I waited over five months! If you are on a really low dose you may benefit from an increase xx

• Posted

Thank you

I have taken diazepam this morning as I started to panic about my citalopram tablet this evening.

Thank you xx

• Posted

Hang in there niketa, you will get better! don't be put off by any initial side effects they pass quite quickly. Keep me posted on how you are doing xx
    • Posted

Thank you

I am trying

I seem to be worse with my anxiety than I have ever been.

Hopefully I can be strong after reading everybodys experiences.

Can I ask when do you start to feel better?

Im only on 10mg and didnt think the low dose would be so bad

Thank you for your support. Xx

• Posted

Hi niketa

i started on the same dose as you and like you my anxiety went through the roof. I also got other side effects. My side effects lasted for about 3 weeks. But within that time the side effects reduced in intensity. Diazepam really helped me through this period. Most people feel a whole lot better within six weeks but it can take a little longer. The first couple of weeks is the hardest as our bodies are not use to this kind of medication. Once it builds up in your system you will feel better again. Make sure you attend your medication reviews with your doctor. If you get any other side effects that worry you please feel free to post me..anytime day or night xx

• Posted

Thank you.

The main thing im worried about is having a massive panic attack I feel so detached and everything's unreal I dont no if anybody else has that feeling?

All day im in like in a weird panicky state thats getting worse.

I really want to stay in and lie in bed till the meds work but I have to work n take my daughter to play group then thinking about going out gives me more anxiety.

I have a review on monday I might ask if there is a magic tablet without symptoms getting worse lol

If only xx

• Posted

You will start to see I slight change about 4 weeks but there will be set backs but they are to be expected xx

Keep us posted and remember we are always here xx

• Posted

Thank you

I do honestly believe that I can do it

But the more I think of certain places or situations I start to panic then I think about taking my citalopram then I really panic.

I feel so selfish and guilty as my baby needs me more

Thank you so much xxx

• Posted

If only there was a magic wand eh!! I know exactly how you feel I had to deal with anxiety and the side effects and take my daughter to school it is so hard I also have a 5 month old baby and some days that was so difficult to deal with.

When I had a panic attack I would literally sit and wait for the next one but even mutually you will start to feel better

Remember just take baby steps along the way to recover you don't have to be superwoman I'm trying to teach myself that !!!!!

• Posted

Its such a cruel thing to go through.

I really wished there was a magic wand lol.

I dont think I help myself as I read into situations too much as well.

I hate this feeling of detachement and I cant seem to find anybody who suffers with this.

I really appreciate your support thank you so much.

I cannot wait to be on like week 10/12 and everything seems better im ao dreading my tablets later

Xx

• Posted

Bless you it must be so hard to be responsible for children when feeling unwell. This med can knock you off your feet for the first couple of weeks and it's so important to rest. Have you got anyone who could lend a hand over this period? You really do need support whilst your brain is adjusting to citalopram. Try not to fear the sensations they honestly will pass. Please try and tap in to support for childcare. X
    • Posted

I live with my in laws but everybody works so at the minute no my partner works all day I work weekends its a new job too im dreading having an attack infront of new employees

Xx

• Posted

Niketa is there any scope for changing your start date for your new job? The meds need time to adjust and where possible you need to rest xx
    • Posted

I started 2 weeks ago im going to speak my dr monday. To be honest today is a bad day an going to work and my tablets r making me worse x
    • Posted

I really feel for you. It's important that you rest ad much as possible. I know you have just started your job but i do think you need a little time off if your boss would allow it. Xx
    • Posted

I cant rest to be honest. Ive just taken my daughter to play school for her 1st settling session and had a massive anxiety attack walking home its scared me to death. Im shaky felt soooo detached like im in a bubble from the rest of the world and im only on day 4 will this get even worse or has today been the worse it will get im not sure I can cope with going to work 2moro and sunday then next week its play group all over again. Xc
    • Posted

Hi niketa

so sorry to hear about your panic attack. I think you should take a few days off work. The side effects won't get any worse and you will find they will start diminishing in strength and eventually fall away.

The first two weeks is the hardest. How you feeling now?

Lorraine x

• Posted

Still a little shaky my eyes have gone funny but still feel detached. I think I do need time off but I do no if they will allow it.

Tried to eat but Im not hungry and feel sick too.

Have to take my citalopram in a minute too

So thats another panic attack.

Thank you xxx

• Posted

Hi niketa

you really do need to take some time off work. I know it's difficult as it's a new job but your wellbeing is more important. I lost my appetite on this med too and lost a lot of weight. Try and get some high strength omega 3 it really helps and was recommended by a consultant. If you feel up to it let me know how you are in the morning.

In my prayers

god bless

Lorraine x

• Posted

Thank you.

Im just debating whether to take my tablet I do have some diazepam to take too can I take them together to stop the panic happening?

Xx

• Posted

Hi i have never taken them together. Why don't you take them at least a couple of hours apart. Not really sure what the correct answer is but personally i wouldn't take them together xx
    • Posted

Thank you. I think I need to calm down before I take it and when I start to get panicky I will take my diazepam. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Thank you for your help

Xx

• Posted

Hope to catch up with you in the morning xx

wishing you speedy relief from your symptoms and also wishing you a good night's sleep x

• Posted

In all seriousness, Lizz, Sparkly and myself were pretty much in your condition at this stage, there would've been no way of me taking anyone to playgroup and Sparkly writes that she cried all the way there, but ... We are doing it with not so much trouble now, hang in there xxx much love xxx
    • Posted

To be quite honest I had a panic attack just thinking about taking my daughter to play group (its for nursery and its her 1st settling session). I had to do it. I remember my nan (who brought me up) suffering with agrophobia I wasnt allowed anywhere not even school as she was so scared to take me and now she regrets it.

I already feel guilty as today I couldnt play with my daughter as I used too I had to run off whenever I had an attack coming on as I dont want her to see me this way and I dont want her being affected by me.

I feel she shouldn't have to give up on playing with her soon to be school friends because of my anxiety.

Sorry for the essay

Im trying to be strong every minute of the day.

Thank you for every bodies advice and experiences xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.