Starting new medicine, CONCERED about aide effects. TOPAMAX, TOPIRAMATE

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been prescribed topiramate as I've got idiopathic intracranial hypertension and experience pressure and headaches. My neurologist advised to take this to help with weight loss aswell as the headaches. After reading mixed reviews I'm torn on what to do. I have anxiety and hate taking tablets as it is. Is it worth trying them? My b12 is low so starting b12 injections aswell so I already suffer with tingling around my body from that. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't take TOPAMAX again if they paid me to do it!!

But it's your decision! If you do - watch ALL SIDE EFFECTS

• Posted

Claire, 

I've been on Trokendi XR 100mg for one year for migraines. I take the medication at night, which helps mitigate the symptoms. Make sure you take a multi-vitamin and drink a lot of water. When I first started, I was taking 25mg twice daily and slowly weaned up to 50mg twice daily before switching to the XR version. Each time I increased my dose I had side effects for 2-3 weeks. Difficulty concentrating, tingling in the hands and feet, but unlike most, I have never had the weight loss side effect. Only swelling in the legs.  My suggestion is to give it some time  and if you can take the doses at 3pm and 11pm to avoid side effects durng working hours. I preferred to be "dumb" while I was at the gym and asleep.  

Using the XR version versus the Topirimate generic, twice daily version helps too. It was like taking a completely different drug. The company will pay for your co-pay as well if you sign up on their web-site. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.