starting on beta-blockers but i’m scared?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im 20 years old, I've been experiencing tachycardia for a few months, was in hospital with what was assumed to be some form of a viral infection that was causing rapid heart rate and several weeks later back in hospital due to resting heart rate over 130-160 feeling very unwell and dizzy etc...

Currently seeing a cardiologist to investigate why my resting heart rate is always at 90-110, and randomly increases especially upon standing up (cardiologist is investigating POTS). ive been given metoprolol to take, a quarter of a 50mg tablet, im just scared of the side effects and worried it will slow my heart down a lot? my resting heart rate is usually around 85-100 unless i get a random spike, but rises to 120-140 upon standing. would beta blockers really dangerously lower my heart rate?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

i also experience dizziness/light-headedness mainly upon standing but also just while randomly sitting or laying down. get random flare ups of nausea, headaches, cold fingers and toes all the time, weird fuzzy feeling in my head/eyes, its all causing me so much worry and stress 😦

• Posted

I was recently prescribed Metoprolol. Shortly after, I've felt like a hormonal teenager, crying every day, extremely intrusive thoughts that I've never had before, crawling out of my skin, zero patience, overwhelmed, massive anxiety attacks, nightmares, you name it.

I decided to do some research on metroprolol and it's a friggin BETA BLOCKER which is on my allergy list because they make me insane. This is a fairly common side effect because it messes with other brain chemicals and your central nervous system.

I've never taken a beta blocker this long. But, I'm not taking it again and I'm calling the cardiologist tomorrow.

THIS has GOT to be what suddenly changed.

I've been living in hell for the last month. I'm livid!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.